Giant Tanganyika Cichlid (Boulengerochromis microlepis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone else here have
Giant Tanganyika Cichlid (Boulengerochromis microlepis)

? Just curious, I have two. They are growing MUCH faster than I expected and I love them. Hard to tell at this point but I'm guessing I have a male and female.

I don't think you'll see alot of answers to that question since 98% of hobbyist don't have the means to keep fish of that size, it's one of those fish that IMO should not be available to the average consumer.

Do you have a monster aquarium? Like 500g+ or so? Because this is going to be a huge fish let alone both of them.

I don't have any but I definitely want some of those fish! I have been mildly obsessed with those fish for awhile now. I found a place in Florida that sells them, however I don't have the space or money for a tank large enough to house them. My best guess is you'd need at least a tank that's 12x4x3 ( 775 gallons) for a small group of those fish.

Seeing a group of them swimming around would be amazing.

Right now they are in a 180g tank. Eventually they will be moving to a larger tank or I will have to re-home them. They are very very cool fish.

Not sure exactly what species it is but i do know for a fact the worlds largest cichlid comes from lake tanganyika, Be careful my friend

Not sure exactly what species it is but i do know for a fact the worlds largest cichlid comes from lake tanganyika, Be careful my friend

That is it. No worries. :) If I end up having to rehome them one of my choices may be the Denver Aquarium, I'm sure they would be glad to have them. I have a long time before that will be necessary though. For right now I'm just loving them. A LFS here that trusted me enough to give me two (when they were really little) told me all about them before hand. They didn't even have them on display, they took me into a back room to show them to me. The gal that runs the place (it specializes in cichlids) said she hadn't seen any here in Denver in ten years.

Anyway, I have no intention of allowing them to be in a bad environment which is why I asked if anyone else had them. Wanted to get some first hand accounts of any issues.

:)

Back
Top Bottom