Going Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitacrux

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was thinking about using sand in my new 55 gallon setup, the stuff at the store seems awfully expensive, I have heard that some use pool filter sand but I don't think I like the white look. Are there any other alternatives out there? Also, it will be a cichlid tank, but will a pleco be okay with a sand substrate?
Also could anyone tell me how much sand I would need to use in a 55 gal?

Last edited:
I've only seen two shades of PFS and that's white and beige. The other sand that looks very natural is play sand, the only downside is the endless hours of rinsing but after that it looks great and it's cheaper than PFS. I black Tahitian Moon sand in 90% of my tanks and the dark substrate really brings out the color of fish, I've seen so many fish that have colors washed out do to light colored substrate. As far as fish are concerned there are not negative effects with switching to sand, and most cichlids prefer it.

Black blast sand is an option I've heard people using. I use PFS and it works great, give it some time and the color mellows a bit and isn't so bright white. If your fish like booking in the substrate, look for a round grain sand, I've been warned that some sand with sharp/angular grains can/will do damage if ingested.

I'd say 2x50lbs bags would work, but IDKFS.

3m colorquartz/estes sand is what I use. It comes in a wide range of colors and costs around $.50/lb. Contact the pool supply/industrial supply store to see if they can find it. (pic in my avatar is on 3m colorquartz s-grade)

A closeup-
img_1379905_0_33c5aa6df7c283b90f244f9f701af485.jpg

this pic was done with s-grade colorquartz also
img_1379905_1_2f17897c8e658bc36e0a496750fbcb7b.jpg

3m colorquartz/estes sand is what I use. It comes in a wide range of colors and costs around $.50/lb. Contact the pool supply/industrial supply store to see if they can find it. (pic in my avatar is on 3m colorquartz s-grade)

Would you consider Watsons, a pool supply store? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

I don't know what that is. If they carry stuff for pools, filter sand, etc, they should be able to either get it for you, or tell you who to call. From what I was told, they use this sand to create a nonslip surface around pool areas. I'm not sure what else its used for.

The place I go through here is called coastal construction products.

Well I got the sand in the tank and I thought that I had rinsed it pretty well but the water is still really cloudy. Will it clear up with time or am I in for alot of PWC?

Attachments

• image-2848007664.jpg
    image-2848007664.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 157
I would say run filters for 24 hours and it will clear up nicely. Or you could just let it sit and settle.

It will start to settle but the quickest way is water changes, since there's no fish I would perform a couple of large daily ones. When I get impatient which is pretty much always I'll throw a old Emperor 280 filter on there and it clears in a couple of hours...last step is fairly hard on impellers so be forwarned.

what kind of sand is it? Most sand needs to be thoroughly rinsed to get the particulate out of it before you add it to the tank. If you didn't prerinse it well, then start doing some WC's, otherwise it will settle and the dust will kick up anytime something moves around in the tank

Another thing that helps is a flocculant like seachem's clarity, it binds the small particles together to make them easier to remove.

Its the African Naturals, wasn't able to locate much else around here. It came with some clarity packets that I threw in there as well, I guess Ill go start those water changes haha.

you previously mentioned in another post that u rinse it with a pillowcase (i think) ummm..... newbe here wants a bit of help on the method please x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
you previously mentioned in another post that u rinse it with a pillowcase (i think) ummm..... newbe here wants a bit of help on the method please x

I wish I would have thought of that, I used a bucket and well you can see how well that turned out. I'm sure someone else will chime in on whether or not a pillow case works.

I just changed 2 of my tanks over ( 55g and 90g) to sand . I put like 1/2 a bag of it in a pillow case outside and put hose in an kept stirring and moving bag around.... Worked good for me :) I'm happy with the look... Now I wanna do the rest of the tanks lol....

Back
Top Bottom