Going Tanganyikan -Q&A, Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trustemedia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone! So,I picked up a 75 gallon from Craigslist for $35. Woot woot! Now, I've been on another thread decided what to do with it and have decided to go Tanganyikan!

Here is my tank - 75 Gallon. 48 L x 18W x 22H.

So far, I have nothing.

Plans. I did order a filter on Amazon. I got a Rena XP2. I wanted a Canister because they seem to keep the water cleaner for size - from my experience so far. I read the Renas were good. I got it from the Amazon return warehouse in Like New Condition for $48, which I thought was a steal. I think there's more if anyone is looking. :)

I will have a snug fitted glass top. I ordered one for a 55 I have and it came broken. I kept all the pieces so plan on getting glass cut to fit the parts.

Heater - I am not sure if I should have one 250-300W heater or 2 150W heaters. Seems to be a debate about this. Does it really matter?

I will have LED lighting. I purchased one on eBay for my 55 and love it, so I will be getting the same thing. I will not have live plants, so lighting isn't going to matter for that aspect. I read blue marine lighting is nice in a Tanganyikan set-up article.

I also read to get a Wavemaker. I have notes that say "tunze" and "nano". I don't know what that means. LOL I've been reading a ton and takes notes. Is the wavemaker a necessity and do you recommend a certain brand? I actually got one pretty cheap for my other tank from a place close to me on ebay and had it here the next day, so actually would probably do the same thing, unless I need something specific.

I read in a Tanganyikan set-up article it is recommended to have a dark, sandy substrate. However, every tank I see online has a light substrate. I am actually liking the white substrate with the black background. Which do you think will make the colors pop more? Opinions? I was thinking about picking up white play sand from Home Depot. It's $4.97 here for a 40 lb. bag.

Design Plans:

I plan to stock a higher pile of rocks on one side of the tank. My open water stock wish list likes a high rocky ledge.
I plan to place shells on the other side of the tank.

I don't know if I want to slope from front to back or left to right with landscaping or leave flat. I don't know if want another rock pile somewhere - in the back, middle or other side. I am trying to keep rocks away from shells.

Right now thinking of white sand with black background. Maybe a fake plant or two just to break sight with shells? Not sure.

Stocking:

So, my dream stock is below. I think I may have a hard time finding some of these and/or affording some of these. I will keep a look out on forums, YouTube, stock lists from breeders, auction sites, etc. to see what I can find. If you know of an alternative to one of these that would be easy to find and affordable, that would be terrific! Also, please let me know what you think of the "dream" stocking list. I have been doing a ton of research day and night to get this far with the stocking list and trying to keep a more peaceful tank setting.

Top (open water): Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta. I read they like to be in groups of 12, but at least 8. I would go with the 8 if I have the room with 2 males and 6 females. Look to be about $12 a piece if you can find them. I would take young ones for sure. Others (Jumbo) seem more readily available. I have read about not keeping the Jumbos, but don't remember why - larger, temperament? I like the orchids and Mpimbwe. I am not opposed to stocking those if possible. Anyone know what the big difference from Utinta to Jumbo is besides some size? And where you can get some Utinta? Purple is my favorite color and they look so purplish, I love it. Alternatives? I read Ophthalmotilapia ventralis could be an alternative, but they hang at the bottom some. I really want a top swimmer here. I also read some people use rainbow fish, but that's getting away from the theme here. Someone did mention Pseudotropheus acei, same colors, but not sure of this? Suggestions?

Shell Dwellers: I read Neolamprologus Multifasciatus is the most peaceful and easy to breed. They are cute. But, I also really like Lamprologus Ocellatus. I love the colors. Can I mix them? 4 of each - 1 M with 3 Fs. I realize I may be buying these in a bulk lot of 6, 8, 10 and may not get my choice of numbers and sexes until later. Anyone have any experience with Ocellatus?

Sand Sifters: I am totally in love with Xenotilapia Ochrogenys Mazuri, but would settle for any Ochrogenys for sure. I like Ndole, too. These are best kept in 8-10 species.

I also like Enantiopus Melanogenis (Makola/Isanga) or I guess has been renamed to Xenotilapia Singularis. Read extremely peaceful fish. Beauty. I also read you can mix Enantiopus Melanogenis and Ochrogenys. I read an article where they share the same breeding grounds in the wild and actually ignore each other completely even on the breeding ground. Amazing.

I also very much like Xenotilapia Kilesa. I have not read anything about mixing all 3. Although I did read some research where it was suggested Kilesa may be a hybrid of Ochrogenys and Enantiopus Melanogenis because they all actually share a breeding ground together. Interesting.

I know I don't have a lot of footprint and with rocks and shells and their size, I will be limited. I would like to either ideally have 8 Ochrogenys. Or mix maybe the 4 and 4 of 1M/3F, if possible, of Ochrogenys and Enantiopus Melanogenis. Wish I could do all 3 and add Kilesa, but I know I need a M/F ratio and also need room for them. I may be getting what's available in the trade for purchase. I will hunt Ochrogenys!

That is all I have for stocking. I believe I will actually be full with that. If you think I have room for something else, please let me know. If you see any problems, please let me know. I think I left out all aggressive rockies. I have a top, shell, and sand.

I looked into Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis and they are beautiful, but unaffordable.

I thought about Julidochromis Transcriptus as it seems the smallest and more mild tempered of the rock dwellers, but I think it might scare the xenotilapia?? Plus, don't really know about my stocking level - it may be full with this.

Sorry, for such a long post, but wanted to get it all laid out and overcome any obstacles now. Thanks for any advice, suggestions, opinions.

I would add a 2nd filter IMO.

Also you're going to need to pick either the shell dwellers or the Xenotilapia. They will not do well together in such a small footprint. If you choose the Xenotilapia you'll need to provide as much open floor space as possible for them.

You my friend have done your homework. You will succeed and I will follow. I have always kept a lake tang biotope. My fav..

I wouldn't exactly call multis "peaceful"...they're little terrors actually. Their conspecific aggression is so low that they can be "peaceful", but throw another fish in the mix and they're little devils!

I've always liked the brevis or the ocellatus, especially some of the collection points. hecqui are awesome. As well as callipterus.

I agree with Mog, keep one or the other. Shellie's take up a lot of space that the sand sifters will need.

Personally, I'd go with a school of cyprichromis leptosoma 'mpimbwe', Holey rock on one side of the and for some rock dwellers like some Julie species, a small group of jewel spot goby (the Latin name always slips my mind but starts with an E), a trio of altolamprologus compressiceps 'sumbu dwarf', and a colony of neolamprologus ocellatus 'gold' but that's just me

Personally, I'd go with a school of cyprichromis leptosoma 'mpimbwe', Holey rock on one side of the and for some rock dwellers like some Julie species, a small group of jewel spot goby (the Latin name always slips my mind but starts with an E), a trio of altolamprologus compressiceps 'sumbu dwarf', and a colony of neolamprologus ocellatus 'gold' but that's just me

That's a great list IMO

I wouldn't exactly call multis "peaceful"...they're little terrors actually. Their conspecific aggression is so low that they can be "peaceful", but throw another fish in the mix and they're little devils!

I've always liked the brevis or the ocellatus, especially some of the collection points. hecqui are awesome. As well as callipterus.

I agree with Mog, keep one or the other. Shellie's take up a lot of space that the sand sifters will need.

Great stock and will make a great tank! I love altolamptologus, very interesting guys. This tank will be great since you have many African cichlids that don't have your typical "African body" (ie mbuna, peacocks, and haps)

Plus, I listed as such because most of the species are obtainable, but still uncommon enough to keep the tank unique and interestoing

Thank you all for all this great advice!!

Okay, if I reluctantly cut out the Xenotilapia (sorry, I just love their colors and the way they circle their ladies!), and go with only shell dwellers instead - I do like them just as much - wish I could have both - I will go with Ocellatus Gold. I like them better than Multifasciatus. It's probably the purple I see on them in pictures. LOL

For rock dwellers, I can do juli transcriptus. I like them the best. How many? would I be able to keep?

I also do like the goby cichlid. I've been looking at it for awhile, but opted out for whatever reason I did (I think because of the Xenotilapia). I think there are 4 different species I have found and would keep Eretmodus Cyanostictus (the black one with the blue spots). What does a small group consist of - how many? Sorry! I don't want to overstock.

Does anyone have any pics of their Altolamprologus compressiceps sumbu dwarf to share? I know you all will probably not like this too much, but I really am not attracted to them at all. Maybe if I seen something different from then what is on Google images... or do you keep them and they are really interesting and fun to watch and if so, in what manner are they fun? I'm all for interesting. They look pretty small. I may give them a try. Do they live in shells? A trio would be how many males and females 1M/2F? Does it matter? If I decide I didn't want to give them a try, what could I replace them with? Another lamprologus species, shell dweller, or am I wide open? I have a list of ones I like but also want this to work so suggestions and info are appreciated.

If the gobies are sand sifters will they fight for floor space or do they hang in the rocks more? And I could keep them because of that and their size, or?... just wondering.

Thank you!!!!!

here's what else I like if anything works as a altolamprologus compressiceps sumbu dwarf replacement, if I decide I don't want to try those, if I'm not out of luck (I haven't researched these yet):
Telmatochromis vittatus
Lamprologus' stappersi
Callochromis pleurospilus
Neolamprologus sexfasciatus
Lamprologus ornatipinnis
Neolamprologus buescheri "Zaire Gold"
Neolamprologus nigriventris
neolamprologus speciosus

cyprichromis leptosoma 'mpimbwe' is actually my favorite of them all so that works wonders for me!

Tanganyikans are the only rift lake cichlids I like lol

You could also add a group of synodontis petricola too, a sweet Tanganyikan catfish
I personally keep lophiobagrus cyclurus in mine, but they are very nocturnal and not common

Ok, cool. I left them out, too because of the Xenotilapia, so I guess knocking them off the list opens more doors for me!

Looks like bottom line questions are now in summary:

How many synodontis?
How many mpimbwes?
How many Julis?
How many gobies?
What up with altolamprologus compressicepts sumbu dwarf? Interesting fish?
Can I replace that stock option with something else, such as one of these (knowing I have no idea what is compatible, affordable, or available since I haven't researched them yet):
Telmatochromis vittatus
Lamprologus' stappersi
Callochromis pleurospilus
Neolamprologus sexfasciatus
Lamprologus ornatipinnis
Neolamprologus buescheri "Zaire Gold"
Neolamprologus nigriventris
neolamprologus speciosus

Thank you, again! :)

A few more. How can you resist a lake tang aquarium

Lol I've been put on the you know what list by a few members for keeping my tang tank haha still like them, sorry HUKIT and Mogurako hahaha

What compressiceps collection point is that? Nice colors!

I'd still steer clear of fronts for this sized tank though, they just get so big and actually eat cyps in the wild lol

I'll be home in a little bit and I'll dig deeper into those questions for you

Nice fish! I am assuming the black/white/blue are the Frontosa and I know to eliminate them for sure, as well as any Tropheus. Well, I think I know... from my research so far.

Your little guys have some nice color. Better than I've seen on the net. They may grow on me, we'll see...

Thanks for the pictures! And, can't wait to see what you come with for me! You've all been great. I am actually digging taking the Xeno out so I can have more species and make the tank more interesting. As always, thank you!

Ok so:

1.) I'd add a group of 5-7 s. petricola or luccipinnis

2.) 8-12 (the higher the better, the males will display more) mpimbwe cyps

3.) julidochromis transcriptus: 1 pair

4.) Goby prefer to perch up on rock work, I'd actually do a 2 pair, depending on your rock work, but they can be a bit feisty towards rivals

5.) I love compressiceps and calvus, very cool fish, semi aggressive, and SUPER SLOW GROWERS, but as adults, they are fry eaters, so any loose Shellie fry will be gobbled up, which can be beneficial in keeping your colony in check. Like I said, they grow way slow. If you want to continue the black and yellow theme (given the ocellatus gold, mpimbwe, transcriptus, etc) you could try and find a. Compressiceps mutondwe or gold head muzi. With a little more reading, I may forgo these given their piscivorous (fish eating) habits. But like I said, slow growing, so they won't present any issues till way later on and adults fetch a pretty penny usually due to the time it takes for them to reach adulthood (not sure on how long, but I had mine for like 2-3 months and it only grew maybe 3/4 of in inch to an inch before I sold him)

6.)
a.) telmatochromis vitals: these will work. Only one pair due to conspecific aggression. Make sure you have really good rock work, lots of Holey rock!

b.) lamprologus stappersi are a Shellie. Again, could go in place of the ocellatus, but generally, Shellie species do not like other Shellie species

c.) callochromis pleurospilus: require too much open space for a 4 ft tank with all of your other stocking. These are another sand sifter species. They'll compete with the Shellies for space too much unfortunately

d.) neolamprologus sexfasciatus: can be quite aggressive, but MIGHT possibly work, again depending on your rock work. This one is iffy with the shellies. If you try them, ONLY a pair, they are extremely conspecific aggressive

e.) lamprologus ornatipinnis: another Shellie. Same issue as b

f.) neolamprologus buescheri 'Zaire gold': quite aggressive, I'd avoid these.

g.) neolamprologus nigriventris: have a habit of stealing Shellie fry out of their shells, I'm experiencing a similar issue with my neolamprologus leleupi (closely related to nigriventris). The other issue with this one being that they're hard to find and a bit pricey more than likely due to their difficulty to spawn continually

h.) neolamprologus speciosus: another shellie

Hi there - and thanks for all your help and knowledge sharing!

"5.) I love compressiceps and calvus, very cool fish, semi aggressive, and SUPER SLOW GROWERS, but as adults, they are fry eaters, so any loose Shellie fry will be gobbled up, which can be beneficial in keeping your colony in check. "

***- would this statement only pertain to those of this species that get large? I read the sumbu dwarf only get 3", is that correct? what about size of the other 2 you mentioned - mutondwe and gold head muzi? I don't have to worry about them growing slow if they are already small right?

*** also are these shell dwellers as I read? If so, and shell dwellers don't like each other, how would I be able to keep them with the ocellatus? Sorry for questions, but curious so I can learn.

*** Just to be clear and I understand correctly, are you saying altolamprologus compressiceps 'sumbu dwarf' would be a fry gobbler?

"6.)
a.) telmatochromis vitals: these will work. Only one pair due to conspecific aggression. Make sure you have really good rock work, lots of Holey rock!"

***- Now, would these be in addition to my current stock or I would use these to replace altolamprologus compressiceps if I don't want to go with them as I suggested? Thanks. (after some reading, I am sure these would replace and that alto dwarf is a fry eater)

- are there any others you would recommend based upon the current stock list that would work besides telmatochromis vitals? I'll take suggestions if you have any, please.

***- I'm definitely keeping the Ocellatus for sure so not going to replace them at all. FYI :)

"d.) neolamprologus sexfasciatus: can be quite aggressive, but MIGHT possibly work, again depending on your rock work. This one is iffy with the shellies. If you try them, ONLY a pair, they are extremely conspecific aggressive"

***- I'm counting these out.

"e.) lamprologus ornatipinnis: another Shellie. Same issue as b"

***- I read these are not actually shell dwellers but will breed in shells and will also breed in rock crevices. Is this true according to your experience and if so, would it make them a possibility?? I'm also reading alot more about them being shell dwellers....

"f.) neolamprologus buescheri 'Zaire gold': quite aggressive, I'd avoid these."

***- I read that so good to know you think so, too. They are a big No.

This is exciting and fun to learn. Thanks so much for sharing! I can't wait to get to get it set-up once I get this stock list down. :thanks:

Last edited:
This is mostly from research online and knowing how particular groups of fish from the lake interact. I maintian a colony of l. multifasciatus, and in the tank keep a n. leleupi, 2 j. marlieri "black", and a a. calvus "black". I also have 4 lophiobagrus cyclurus (dwarf tanganyikan bullhead catfish)

The sumbu dwarf will use shells, but aren't exactly shell dwellers, as these are characterized as actually living in shells, or in the case of some of the odder shellies, the females only (n. callipterus, for example, males are much larger than females and don't fit in shells, instead, they pick up shells and position them in their harem, and usually steal the shells, with female inside, from other males). I actually think i would prefer a larger variety to keep them out of the shells, mine is only 3/4 inch now (i've had 2) and he stays nowhere near my multies, they'd rip the little guy to shreds

Good call on the ornatipinnis. These (if available at all, haven't looked) would work as a pair or possibly a trio (usually shoot for 1 male, 2 female in a trio)

Just remember that this stock list won't be exactly "cheap" nor easy to obtain. Going to more than likely have to order from places online, if you can find some of them. that will adjust your list GREATLY

Back
Top Bottom