Going to have more babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseysd80

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395416631.635273.jpg
My Whitetailed Acei fry are finally getting big and now my Yellow Lab is holding!!!! I think I need more tanks. Lol

Ok here is a quick question. How do you know when they are holding? I have a breeding pair of jewels and I can never tell. Just one day bam babies lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

View attachment 229329
My Whitetailed Acei fry are finally getting big and now my Yellow Lab is holding!!!! I think I need more tanks. Lol

Congrats and welcome to the world of breeding, now you have to figure out what to do with all those fry.

Ok here is a quick question. How do you know when they are holding? I have a breeding pair of jewels and I can never tell. Just one day bam babies lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Jewel cichlids don't hold, they are egg layers. You should be able to tell that it is about time for babies when both mom and dad start getting noticeably brighter colors. Additionally mom's swollen belly should be fairly obvious.

In the mouth-brooding cichlids, such as mbuna, the mother will lay her eggs then pick them up and carry them in her mouth. Her mouth becomes more and more swollen from the developing eggs/fry and she typically will not eat during this time, although she may act like she is.

I'm not saying that you don't do this but I watch my cichlids behavior carefully. Yesterday I noticed the male and female yellow labs doing "their thing". Today I noticed her mouth was swollen and she didn't eat so I knew she was holding. My egg laying cichlids will become very protective of their spot when eggs are layed and she always lays them in the same spot, and again I monitor their behavior and can tell when she's about to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom