Gold Rams in 29G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,

My golden rams and I are having a bit of a crisis. Two weeks ago my pretty pale female GR passed on quite suddenly. That day I did a complete water work-up, adjusted a few things and did a 25% water change. Everything was fine for a few days, so I called my LFS (unfortunately the closest one to me is a Petco) and they had GRs coming in a few days. The male GR, who is my most beautiful and intelligent fish, seemed annoyed at being the only one of his species. He started chasing the other reddish-goldish fish in the tank and nipping them.

This past Thursday I bought another cute female GR. She never seemed to acclimate properly and passed away that night. Again, I changed water, made sure everything looked good, and I also started a course of Tetra LifeGuard, just in case there was something I could not see.

When I took the body of the female ram to the Petco, they had 1 GR yet. It was in pitiful shape and I thought that perhaps, with a good clean tank, good frozen food and Tetra LifeGuard, it would pull through. When I got it home, it seemed to be doing OK until my male GR found it. Then started the non-stop game of chase (and nipping). I tried and tried to get a good look at the newbie, but the front fin is flattened down so I can't be sure if it's male or female. The body is pale but with the iridescence near the cheeks. The belly has just a hint of pale, pale pink.

I felt so bad for the poor newbie that I put my big bully GR in a breeding container inside the main tank so they could look at each other but not fight. This morning the newbie was still alive and doing better, slowly making its way around the tank and pecking around on the bottom.

My question is: What should I do if this new ram turns out to be a male? The other ram is at least twice its size. The pet store employee said a 29 gallon might be large enough for two rams, but now that I am seeing them together, I do not think so. I have three caves, a lot of plants and hiding places. Maybe after the new fish finds the hiding places (after not running for its life) things will calm down. But I would really appreciate some more seasoned advice.

Thank you very much for any help.

Rams are monogamous so it may not matter if the new ram is a male or not.
He may not like HER either.
Good luck. I always advice against getting a replacement for rams.Best to just get a new pair or keep the one solo.He won't care if he is alone IMO in compare to sharing company with another of his own he does not like?
If your tank is less then 80 degrees that is a stresser for rams. They like 82-86 but will tolerate 80.Lower temps shorten life span.

The situation resolved itself. The new fish was dead when I got home from work. So I'll keep with the LifeGuard treatment and wait a while. The male fish looks amazing, just like all the pictures of them -- a deep yellow/orange with iridescence all over. I should post a pic of him, he's really something! :)

Back
Top Bottom