Gold Saum Male??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I read this forum religiously but have never posted before, however, now I am becoming frustrated and could use a little help. I purchased this Saum nearly five months ago, hoping I had selected a male. However, it is now 5 inches and I do not recognize the formation of a bump on its head, and it doesn't seems to be developing that vibrant coloration as males usually have. I posted a few pics of it.
What are your opinions? Do I have a female, a male with poor makeup, or am I being over anxious? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409420120.338603.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409420149.881118.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409420186.159481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd say male based on the finnage. Not all males will develop a nuchal hump (sometimes called a kok). Also, the extremely light colored sand is probably washing out his color. I have a feeling that if you put him over sme darker colored sand, you'd get better colors out of him

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I am just using play sand. It was a cheap solution and I have had it for more than a year now so a new substrate is a welcome idea. What are are lower cost options that you would recommend to provide the desired effect?

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I am just using play sand. It was a cheap solution and I have had it for more than a year now so a new substrate is a welcome idea. What are are lower cost options that you would recommend to provide the desired effect?

I know some people use black diamond blasting sand, but I'm not sold on it (edges seem sharp). Could also look for a darker grained play sand, or mix in some darker sand from a fish store. Others may have some more ideas

I like CeramaQuartz if you have a dealer near you.

One of the most uniform grain sizes I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom