Good cichlids for a 29 gallon community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

French horn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank, normal dimensions. I would like to put as many cichlids in it as possible. I am interested in angelfish rams and apistos, and I have heard the three of them can be with other fish and each other. However I have really high ph water, it's about 8.2. If I could put she dwellers or other Africans with other fish I would be interested in them. I would also be interested in a full mbuna tank, although I've read 29 gallons is too small for one. My first choice would be angels rams and/or apistos.
Thank you

29 is def not to small for mbunas i have 6 africans in my 29 planning on getting more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 7 mbuna in my tank and their doing fine in the 29 gallon. Even got 2 batches of fry. Just make sure if you do you have a lot of hiding places and good filtration. Here's mineImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407607294.568626.jpg

you wouldnt be disapointed with shell dwellers, ive got a 4' 55g multi colony and they are very entertaining to watch... always something going on with the multies.

So I could have mbuna, I still like the idea of an angelfish and a pair of dwarfs, if my water would work for them. I would like to keep some non cichlids as well. Suggestions of cichlids that can be kept with some non cichlids would be appreciated. Could I keep any other fish with shell dwellers?

So I could have mbuna, I still like the idea of an angelfish and a pair of dwarfs, if my water would work for them. I would like to keep some non cichlids as well. Suggestions of cichlids that can be kept with some non cichlids would be appreciated. Could I keep any other fish with shell dwellers?

I keep angels and even breed and my ph is 8.2 I did a drip accumulation and as long as the ph is stable they're fine. My shell dwellers lived with guppies and mollies before I purchased them, but the tank had a lot of live planta for the guppies and mollies to hide in the multis seemed to stay out of the plants most of the time.

I'm not sure about rams but will be following as I'm looking into getting some for my 29 gallon community tank.

Hmm I have an extra 29 sitting around maybe ill have to look into setting up a mbuna tank...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I am pretty sure the fish I would buy from around here would be in the same ph water already. What would be best cichlids in regards to interesting and not as likely to eat everything else to keep in a community with various other fish and plenty of hiding places. Also any other fish specifically not good for the various cichlids. I think I will save the mbuna tank for another time and get angelfish, and/or dwarfs and/or shell dwellers. Could I keep any of those three together? How many would be a good number for each considering there would be some other fish with them? Also which shell dwellers would be best and which dwarfs would be best?

Not an expert here, really would stick to dwarf s a ' s and shellies in anything less than a 55. once the larger cichlids hit maturity it gets real..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If angelfish would be too big could I get Shellies and/or dwarfs and how many of each and what specific type of each?

I use my 29 for breeding. Have ob peacocks in there right now and I keep 1 male and 2 females in there right now but I am going to be adding another two or three. I find a max of 5-6 full grown cichlids a good number for a 29. Don't know much about other species though.

If angelfish would be too big could I get Shellies and/or dwarfs and how many of each and what specific type of each?

You could go with multifasciatus shell dwellers i have some in a 20 long they breed like crazy. Maybe 3-4 trios in a 29 gallon if you break up the site lines with rocks

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom