Good final stock for cichlid 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130211_181739.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130211_181739.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 62
thank you! I can't wait to get my cichlids now! They look so nice! They dont need anything special in the water like salt right? If so i do know how to do it (had guppies)

thank you! I can't wait to get my cichlids now! They look so nice! They dont need anything special in the water like salt right? If so i do know how to do it (had guppies)

Since your buying these all from a store they shouldn't need anything other than a good food. New life spectrum tera a or hikari excel will be the good ones to look for. The small size is what we all use I believe it is 1mm.

Since your buying these all from a store they shouldn't need anything other than a good food. New life spectrum tera a or hikari excel will be the good ones to look for. The small size is what we all use I believe it is 1mm.

I was just going to get the top fin cichlid pellets but now i will get the hikari gold cichlid pellets, and yes the nice small ones

Also most of the time if ur lookin in the assorted cichlid tank thats usually johannis but they just call them electric blues .. u can try aquabid.com for some of the
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
andrew suggested for u .. he found me an amazing deal on some i know the guy still has some i got his email if u want it .. i paid $20 for 6 b he added an extra one in case of doa

I am practising to build up the rocks.... its the length on my tank but can't manage to get it higher then about 5 inches :(

ForumRunner_20130212_182833.jpg

Also most of the time if ur lookin in the assorted cichlid tank thats usually johannis but they just call them electric blues .. u can try aquabid.com for some of the
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
andrew suggested for u .. he found me an amazing deal on some i know the guy still has some i got his email if u want it .. i paid $20 for 6 b he added an extra one in case of doa

I don't want to be buying from online. I would rather pick them and know what they look like rather then them being picked for me. So if its an electric blue that means its a johannis and i don't want those?

I don't want to be buying from online. I would rather pick them and know what they look like rather then them being picked for me. So if its an electric blue that means its a johannis and i don't want those?

I understand bc i was the same way but i had to end up orderin online n honestly i couldnt b happier with my selections the people i spoke with listened to what i wanted n picked out to the best of their ability . Hope u can find everything u want locally .

Like andrew said the electric blue johanniis are more aggressive so its really ur call and also the females would be an orangish yellow not sure when they become that color or if they are born that color or what exactly .. if im not mistaken the johanniis are alil bigger then the mainganos too.. dependin on ur lfs u could bring in the scientific name n order them through ur lfs ..

Forgot to mention if i was u before i decided i would search on the forum for johanniis then for mainganos n see what others say their experience with them are then u can decide which u would prefer

Silicone, that way your fish can't knock hem over and crack the tank.

I siliconed a slate formation in my tank n i really wish i didnt bc i wanna change it up n dont wanna have to take it out n pull it apart n redo it everytime i change my mind which apparently is alot.. but crawdaddy is right alot of people do that just make sure its aquarium safe

I got mine from Jack's pets, not sure if you have that store or not but you may want to look. I think they was like $7 a piece.

Stacking rocks is kinda tricky you'll have to keep playing with it. You may like doing a couple small big piles.

Do you think If i make like three little piles and silicon them together, like build three pyramids. put two along the very back glass of the tank and then on right in the centre of the tank??? will that work and make the one in the centre really big rocks at the bottom and make it really stable??

I got mine from Jack's pets, not sure if you have that store or not but you may want to look. I think they was like $7 a piece.

Stacking rocks is kinda tricky you'll have to keep playing with it. You may like doing a couple small big piles.

nope just a percetera and i dont like going there and then a petsmart 30 mins out of town, thats where I go all the time

I siliconed a slate formation in my tank n i really wish i didnt bc i wanna change it up n dont wanna have to take it out n pull it apart n redo it everytime i change my mind which apparently is alot.. but crawdaddy is right alot of people do that just make sure its aquarium safe

I am now not sure if i should silicon them.... i like to change my tanks around a lot! I have assembled them against my bed to act like the glass. Is there enough space between? I think its to small :(

ForumRunner_20130212_221711.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_221726.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130212_221829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130212_221829.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20130212_221853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130212_221853.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 47
I am now not sure if i should silicon them.... i like to change my tanks around a lot! I have assembled them against my bed to act like the glass. Is there enough space between? I think its to small :(

I think it looks good like that. I would try to get some more rocks and make some little piles away from that like off to the right and left side. Don't worry so much about the spacing between the rocks. When they are little they can fit about anywhere and I'm sure you'll redo it several times before they get bigger.

I think it looks good like that. I would try to get some more rocks and make some little piles away from that like off to the right and left side. Don't worry so much about the spacing between the rocks. When they are little they can fit about anywhere and I'm sure you'll redo it several times before they get bigger.

This is it now and it is like 4 inches shorter then the length of my tank. I will be adding like three rocks randomly to make little caves and things

ForumRunner_20130213_002924.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_002948.jpg

This is it now and it is like 4 inches shorter then the length of my tank. I will be adding like three rocks randomly to make little caves and things

I like that... ill try n load pics of mine if i have one since i changed it . But i cheated n bought cichlid stones :)

Actually i changed it up already i added pieces of slate to make a few more holes n i stacked some flat pieces on top of the stones .. i just ordered 15 more to add some more rock n thinkin about gettin some more slate ..but thats just me ;)

ForumRunner_20130213_081028.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_081048.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_081251.jpg

I am practising to build up the rocks.... its the length on my tank but can't manage to get it higher then about 5 inches :(

I wouldn't make it to high incase they knock it over. Its better to have hiding spots spread out so the length looks good. I have a feeling its going to look really nice when you get it all done :)

Back
Top Bottom