Good food for Africans??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garfy said:
Plus it will heighten aggression in the fish if you give them too much live food.

I do it about once a month, move over about 2-3 feeders per cichlid. The feeders usually last about a wk and I see them eating the scraps left from the chlids food. How could this cause nutritional issues? I may be the one needed enlightenment....

Nvr really researched into that. I did it bc I liked it. Amd I quarantine first to check for disease. Should I cease and desist?

garfy said:
It's just that your fish get so much more from a good pellet like NLS it has everything a cichlid needs.

Nls? I use Tetras stick

garfy said:
Google new life spectrum they have a superb range of cichlid foods.Something for all.

Thanks. I have been reading more on the feeders... And I am goin to use blood worms as my supplementary food. Frozen... And I will look into that nls.

Blood worms have too much protein in them and African cichlids (especially Malawi cichlids) have very long digestive systems and find it hard to digest them.
They would be ok as a treat though now and again.American cichlids though thrive on them.

garfy said:

Wow. I have kept south Americans for yrs. Just got into Africans. Feel dumb for the lack of research. Didn't realise diety needs were soo different. I have a green terror who is 7. So I figured I knew how to keep chlids pretty well... Well.... Thanks for the advice. I will look into some alternative foods for sure now

I feed my cichlids NLS. I can get it at Petco, but not Petsmart. I supplement with Omega One Super Veggie Kelp Flakes. Everybody eats heartily. Good growth and color.

Back
Top Bottom