Grammode update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 4 of them about 2-3 months ago to start a mated pair in my 125. Well needless to say even at a young age they live up to their reputation. I currently only have 1 left and for his small size, he is pure evil. Probably the nastiest fish I have ever kept. He killed off the other 3 that I had bought with him, mind you they were roughly 1.5-2" in a 55g when I got them. After storms and week long power outages, I had to put him in a 30 along with my 1.5year old senegal bichir. (was only to be temporary since that tank and my RD tank were the only two to not lose their cycle from the power outage.) this little gramm killed my full grown bichir too.. :(

So... With that said. Here is Bean, my 3" little grammode.

And for (sng's) look who got jealous...

Attachments

• image-3989608553.jpg
    image-3989608553.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1196336774.jpg
    image-1196336774.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3423892880.jpg
    image-3423892880.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 89
  • image-448066520.jpg
    image-448066520.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3488105050.jpg
    image-3488105050.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image-496855181.jpg
    image-496855181.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 71
See aren't you glad I recommended them! That will teach you ask me for fish advice again.

So what's the plan with him because I know I refuse to devote a large tank to a single fish?

He is more then likely going to be grown out to about 5-6" and sold. I'm told my lfs will give me roughly 80$ for one that size so I'll get close to my money back on the 4 I originally bought. It stinks to do that but hey... It's a hobby after all. I tried kinda failed but will come close to breaking even.

The future of the 125 is still up in the air. And because it's in the basement and not in my room it's lost it's cycle a second time haha. I always forget about it because nothing is in it. I'm thinking it's going to be my RD a grown out pair of salvini's. And some target fish. I think a small school of barbs(red tail ones).

I have also highly highly been considering a elongatus piranha for it. Along with exodons and giant danios. But this set up is gonna cost about 5+ times more. Haha

HUKIT said:
See aren't you glad I recommended them! That will teach you ask me for fish advice again.

oh you know I am haha, besides the loss of my bichir I don't regret getting them.(well him). He's been a fun little fish to keep so far. Although scared of my had he clearly isn't scared of any fish lol. If they just weren't so painfully slow to grow out, I would a bought more of them and continued the project. But it's been like 3 months and he's grown like maaaaaybe... Half a inch. The blue in his fins, sides, and the dot on his tail can't be done justice by my failing by the day iPhone 3GS. I would love to have them as adults I just don't think growing these devils out are in my future for now.

absolutangel04 said:
Bummer he is so aggressive. He has a pretty cute little face.

Haha but that's what attracts me to the CA cichlids. And I have learned over the years it's the price we pay for keeping them, then again it's also why the reward is so high as well.

I'll keep updating as he grows out. Will be a year old before I decide if I'm going to keep him or not. I also have the empty 75 I could house him in.

Oh I already seen salvini at my lfs for 6$ each at about 1.5". If I wasn't so lazy I'd go pick up about 6 or so and get a pair. I have a empty 55/75/125 I can grow them out in lol. They can't be any worse then the gramm growing out wise.

They're not far behind averaging around .5-.75" per month for males and slower for females since they start laying eggs around 1.5-2" which slows their growth down.

Gaaaah!!! I don't wanna hear that! LOL!

The elong is actually where I'm leaning towards today. Just because I have so many tanks that are cichlid dedicated. It be nice to have the 1 different one.

Im just scared to spend 100$ on one fish, another 100$ on targets which could more then likely end up snacks. I had RBP's about 5 years ago I'm familiar with them.

I think if I can't get some sort of mated pair in there,(with some size) I'll more then likely end up with some sort of piranhas in it.

Well... I never knew they had such a gnarly set of chompers. Even at his small size his little teeth are impressive. He has finally ran up on my hand and taken a bite. Was moving his pot during a WC and wham!!!! Got me. He's a handful. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom