Gravel??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I use gravel in a cichlid tank? If so can I get it from home depot ? They have pea pebbles and river rock in a 50lb bag for under 5 dollars

I suggest sand. It is much more natural for them. It is also a lot cleaner. I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef (will not alter any chemistry).

But would the gravel be ok ?? It's a lot more affordable for me..

I thought the same thing about price when I was filling my new 75. Why pay so much at the pet store when you can get a 50 pound bag at home depot? Because you will spend sooo much time cleaning all the crap and silt off that stuff, it will make you want to puke. I ended up putting less gravel than I liked because I was so tired of dealing with the stuff.

Play sand does not equal pool filter sand... I suspect you are describing play sand rebel.

It is the pea gravel from home depot. It is a muddy mess. I would like to have sand but I have never used it before and its more pricey than the gravel. I don't mind a little work for it if I can save some money.... My tank is four feet long. This is a 50lb bag of gravel for 4 or 5 bucks.... I still need a stand and a vac and decor... fish... etc... Im on a very tight budget. I just want to make sure it's safe enough for them... I've also read you can sanitize larger rocks you find outside by boiling them. i want an very very natural look and I like the DYI stuff.

Flossie said:
Any special prep or care for it ??

Here's my suggestions:

Put it in an old pillow case and rinse the fine dust out in your shower before you put it in the tank. After you have the sand bed set in your tank, use a plate to pour water in so you don't disturb it. I like to fill it up about 2 inches above the sand and let it settle for a while, then finish filling it up (pouring over the plate).

As long as the gravel is no larger than pea size you will be fine
In my understanding cichlids prefer a mix of gravel and sand so you could always add sand at a later date if you wish

You guys have been very helpful... I'm interested in both now lol

I wouldn't mix them. The gravel will end up on top still trapping debris and the sand will not get enough oxygen, creating toxic gas pockets.

I thought about putting sand and like a path of river rocks?? They are for decorative purposes of course

Back
Top Bottom