Green Severums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased 2 Green severums and introduced the my my 55 gal tank. I have and assortment of fish including pearl, gold, and moonlight gouramis, serpae and bluberry Tetras, and the "bosses" of the tank - 4 Angles. On of the severums has grown very quickly and is almost as big as my gouramis (3"-4"). He is becoming increasingly aggressive while the other severum just kind of hangs out in the corner of the tank leaving everyone alone. I don't think it has gotten to the point of him nipping fins yet, but I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this breed and if I should get him out of the tank now before its too late......

Let me start by saying that the temperament of cichlids can vary widely from fish to fish. However, I personally would never try keeping my severum with angelfish or gouramis. They tend to grow very quickly as juveniles, as you have seen, and will become increasingly aggressive with age. They can reach 8-10 inches as adults. Also, I don't think that a 55 gallon is large enough to house 2 severums at adult size with all the other fish you have. Even the 2 severums alone would likely pose a problem, as they will have to compete for territory. If you don't have a pair, one will probably not make it. These aren't cichlids that are known for aggression, but they are cichlids all the same. If you can either return them or move them to another tank, I would suggest doing so. :(

*edit* I almost forgot to welcome you to AA, lion! :D Stick around, I think you'll like it here.

I am going to move this to cichlid discussion.

I have to agree with Mama, I would remove the severums.

Welcome to AA!!!

I had read that the green severums are semi-aggresive and can usually live with other semi-aggresives pretty easily....i guess I'll have to return them! Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

I have seen many setups with severums in tanks with angels and the like. See how it works, there is a good chance it will be fine.

you might be able to keep a severum with those fish, but like the severum mama said, it depends on the severums personality. Even though severums arent usualy very agressive, there are always fish who deviate from the temperament that theyre known for. Also, it is wise advise that I second, keeping 2 severums together that are the same sex will cause one of them to dominate the other. In my personal experience, I have 2 male severums and one of them is dominated by the other. I finally got another tank today that I'm moving one into it with my jack dempsey; to stop the rumble and give them more room. If you have large gouramis they might work...i have a gold one in my cichlid tank but it might be luck for me. goodluck and welcome to the forum

I have had severums for a while and from juvinile to adult I have watched personalities change. Some go from aggresive to dosile and of course the other way. I have had many chase other fish but I have not had any harm them but that is possible that he could harm the others. I would turn the lights off and cover the tank and rearrange the items in the tank and see if that helps.

I have two full grown, severums that I have had for 9 years and they can be quite temper mental. As mentioned before, you might be able to get away with it, but you are playing with fire. I haven't been able to keep anything other than cichlids in my tank, and believe me I have tried other fish.

I had 3 green sevs awhile back. I eventually had to separate one to a 75 that had the non cichlids BC he was so friggin mean. He would actually hit the glass trying to nip at anyone that touched it. He also would nip any finger that went into the water for any reason. While it was not really a big deal, an 8 inch fish startles you when it hits. The remaining 2 were much more peaceful in the 150, at least during daylight when I could watch, but my other cich's started mysteriously dying at about 1 every 10 days so they were also put in their own tank. I finally found them a new home BC i couldn't justify 2 large tanks for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom