greenhorn just arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid.greenhorn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just started a 55 gal fw tank last month. Lots of UPS and downs, pulled off a successful 100% water change with no fatalities. I have a low ph problem, I don't wanna raise the ph to fast. Currently is at 6.0, using api ph up every day to raise it slowly. But every time I pwc it drops, suggestions. Crushed coral? I'm a newbie I had guppies in the past, but this is all new to me.

Crushed coral works but slowly. I would suggest not using chemicals at all. Fish can adjust to a constant Ph better than it going up and down every water change.

So, add a little crushed coral once a week? Plus dumb question, do I add directly to tank? With filter media?

Well with that low of a Ph id just mix it with your substrate maybe half and half. Just however much you can afford. Or if you don't like how it looks or something in your filter works just as good. Also if you can limestone holey rock you can add that to your tank. It works good too.

Airstone columns for the undergravel filter. I know that most say not to use it, but I have a polished river rock substrate so they don't mess with the rocks.
Uh I think I have:
2 electric yellow
2 albino kenyi
2 blue kenyi
And a lonley pleco

Airstone columns for the undergravel filter. I know that most say not to use it, but I have a polished river rock substrate so they don't mess with the rocks.
Uh I think I have:
2 electric yellow
2 albino kenyi
2 blue kenyi
And a lonley pleco

Good deal! how long have you been running? Whats your filtration?

Been running about 3 mo, I cycled with rosie barbs then evacuated and switched to cichlids. Well the 1 ft by 2.5 ft under gravel filter. And a marineland bio-wheel 200. I know I need better filtration and will get it shortly.

They get HUGE like 18". Usually better suited for ponds, plus they have a huge bioload. Id rehome it and look into plecos like bristlenose, rubberlip they stay s suitable size for your tank

The lady at my store told me the cichlids would pick on smaller species. So best get a common, I originally picked an albino bristlenose I believe. I feel duped.

Yeah she got ya. But if you get one that picks on plecos its gonna pick on any of them IMO. Its crazy she recommended a fish that gets that big for your tank. Its happens to all us in the beginning though, don't worry. The albino bristlenose would be perfect.

If your looking for a good catfish you should take a look at some of the syndontis species.
I desperately want to get a cuckoo catfish for the new tank I'm cycling and they require the same water conditions as mbuna!
Only downside is they're kind of expensive. :(

Maxkolbe said:
If your looking for a good catfish you should take a look at some of the syndontis species.
I desperately want to get a cuckoo catfish for the new tank I'm cycling and they require the same water conditions as mbuna!
Only downside is they're kind of expensive. :(

Syndontis are awesome. I have a featherfin aand I love him plus they can hold their own with cichlids. They don't eat algae though. If you get the cuckoo's make sure you get at least a few of them, I think most suggest 5 or 6.

They get rather large so I think I'd only have room for one. I've heard they do OK on their own though.

But this isn't my thread, you might want to try a rainbow shark. (I think they eat alage)

Maxkolbe said:
They get rather large so I think I'd only have room for one. I've heard they do OK on their own though.

But this isn't my thread, you might want to try a rainbow shark. (I think they eat alage)

They would be a good option for him too, and if your cichlids aren't picking on your common pleco now I think it'd be safe to get the bristlenose you wanted in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom