Growing my Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here are my discus..

I started having discus about 6 months ago. I keep them in my 44g Pentagon which I had just got when I started discus, originally I used a large piece of driftwood I found by the reservoir I live at.. was an old stump with its roots left.. But it took too much room.. So I eventually took it out... The discus I think liked it a lot because of the hiding places though. I changed my tank again after the second pics, new substrates and plants.. just hasn't taken a new pic yet. I have 2x Blue Turqs, 2x Sunset orange, 1 Snow flake, 1x Leopard discus, and 1 Blue Leopard..

Yes I know my tank looks kinda plain right now, but I had just re-sealed this tank after it leaked and I added new substrates so I had a lot of plants die off, and redid the entire layout to purposely make it more open.. I had driftwood and stuff in it and it made the tank too cluttered. I have 22 neons/cardinals with my discus, 3 electric blue rams, 1 german blue rams. I use Power compact lighting, 1 6700/6700 light and one Actinic 420/460 (blue and purple) The actinic lighting really makes discus,neons and my electric blue rams explode in color.

The orange ones I have had only for 2 months, they are about 3 months old now or so.. The white one I got about 3 months ago, the Leopard on the far left I have had about 4 months. The Blue turq on the bottom I have had for like 6 months now. And the 2 that are still coloring I have had for 6 months. Sadly one of them as you can see is still baby sized.. I dunno why his brother is like 4 inches now, but hes still about 2..

Same with my 2 oranges ones.. One is growing very fast, the other isn't.. My white one though is exploding in size.. Hes the biggest pig of all my discus and eats any kind of food I put in there.. I feed them Freeze dried bloomworms and tetra min flakes 3-4x a day, and do a 70-80% water change every 2 days, I use an Eheim 2217 canister, and a small HOB with purigen.

The big blue turq on the bottom is the alpha, the 2nd in line is the white one, then leopard and then goes down from there. I call the Blue turquoise Brutus because hes a bully, and the white one I call Snow flake. Sadly when I started out I purchased discus from Petco, Brutus was very sick, and almost died in their tanks.. I got him for $20, and he is stunted a little.. He has grown about 2 inches since I got him 6 months ago, he is about 4-5 inches now.. But I don't think he will get much above 5 inches.. The orange ones and ones still coloring up I got as babies from a local breeder, sadly one doesn't seem to grow so I doubt hell be more then 5 inches as well.. Snow flake I got in petco only 3 months ago.. By then I learned not to buy discus from Petco.. But he was so beautiful and ate like a pig and was so healthy.. Im very happy I spent the $80 on him.. He is growing so fast and is one my happiest fish I own.. He always greets me at the glass.. watches me when im on my computer and I can hand feed him.

I don't regret buying 3 of my discus from petco.. People bashed me for doing it, but I felt sorry for them.. Brutus had a broken arm, ich, was a heavy white slime coat, he was almost black.. and wouldn't eat he was on sale for $20.. I got him, nursed him back to health and now hes one of my best looking discus.. I don't regret buying a sick discus at all. I feel good nursing him back to life. I mean look at him.. Slightly stunted... but hes so beautiful and looks happy. I love watching Brutus eat.. when he grabs a big piece of bloodworm.. He shakes his head like a dog with a toy in his mouth.. No Joke.. he shakes his head back and forth and tears his food up like a shark !!

img_3197560_0_aacfe45c732eb18781d6cf116400c2c4.jpg

img_3197560_1_02886fff9fa35bab8fbd1399ea052ae6.jpg

img_3197560_2_241f3a8ed268ded985eed216aaa04ec7.jpg

Here are my discus..

I started having discus about 6 months ago. I keep them in my 44g Pentagon which I had just got when I started discus, originally I used a large piece of driftwood I found by the reservoir I live at.. was an old stump with its roots left.. But it took too much room.. So I eventually took it out... The discus I think liked it a lot because of the hiding places though. I changed my tank again after the second pics, new substrates and plants.. just hasn't taken a new pic yet. I have 2x Blue Turqs, 2x Sunset orange, 1 Snow flake, 1x Leopard discus, and 1 Blue Leopard..

Yes I know my tank looks kinda plain right now, but I had just re-sealed this tank after it leaked and I added new substrates so I had a lot of plants die off, and redid the entire layout to purposely make it more open.. I had driftwood and stuff in it and it made the tank too cluttered. I have 22 neons/cardinals with my discus, 3 electric blue rams, 1 german blue rams. I use Power compact lighting, 1 6700/6700 light and one Actinic 420/460 (blue and purple) The actinic lighting really makes discus,neons and my electric blue rams explode in color.

The orange ones I have had only for 2 months, they are about 3 months old now or so.. The white one I got about 3 months ago, the Leopard on the far left I have had about 4 months. The Blue turq on the bottom I have had for like 6 months now. And the 2 that are still coloring I have had for 6 months. Sadly one of them as you can see is still baby sized.. I dunno why his brother is like 4 inches now, but hes still about 2..

Same with my 2 oranges ones.. One is growing very fast, the other isn't.. My white one though is exploding in size.. Hes the biggest pig of all my discus and eats any kind of food I put in there.. I feed them Freeze dried bloomworms and tetra min flakes 3-4x a day, and do a 70-80% water change every 2 days, I use an Eheim 2217 canister, and a small HOB with purigen.

The big blue turq on the bottom is the alpha, the 2nd in line is the white one, then leopard and then goes down from there. I call the Blue turquoise Brutus because hes a bully, and the white one I call Snow flake. Sadly when I started out I purchased discus from Petco, Brutus was very sick, and almost died in their tanks.. I got him for $20, and he is stunted a little.. He has grown about 2 inches since I got him 6 months ago, he is about 4-5 inches now.. But I don't think he will get much above 5 inches.. The orange ones and ones still coloring up I got as babies from a local breeder, sadly one doesn't seem to grow so I doubt hell be more then 5 inches as well.. Snow flake I got in petco only 3 months ago.. By then I learned not to buy discus from Petco.. But he was so beautiful and ate like a pig and was so healthy.. Im very happy I spent the $80 on him.. He is growing so fast and is one my happiest fish I own.. He always greets me at the glass.. watches me when im on my computer and I can hand feed him.

I don't regret buying 3 of my discus from petco.. People bashed me for doing it, but I felt sorry for them.. Brutus had a broken arm, ich, was a heavy white slime coat, he was almost black.. and wouldn't eat he was on sale for $20.. I got him, nursed him back to health and now hes one of my best looking discus.. I don't regret buying a sick discus at all. I feel good nursing him back to life. I mean look at him.. Slightly stunted... but hes so beautiful and looks happy. I love watching Brutus eat.. when he grabs a big piece of bloodworm.. He shakes his head like a dog with a toy in his mouth.. No Joke.. he shakes his head back and forth and tears his food up like a shark !!

img_3197709_0_aacfe45c732eb18781d6cf116400c2c4.jpg

img_3197709_1_02886fff9fa35bab8fbd1399ea052ae6.jpg

img_3197709_2_241f3a8ed268ded985eed216aaa04ec7.jpg

Especially as these discus grow, you are way overstocked. What is your temperature at?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks but I came here to share my discus not take advice lol.. I hasve been fishkeeping for 20 years now, discus almost a year I know how to take care of them and I know what size they get and food they eat and temps they need to be at. I plan to buy a 90G corner tank when I get the funds.. For now they are staying in this tank. And they are doing just fine.

My temps are 84f. Overstocked perhaps when they get fully grown in 16 months.. But right now with them being 2-4 inches.. Hardly

So if the money doesn't happen because life can change in minutes, let's take the risk of stunting their growth nice idea.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks but I came here to share my discus not take advice lol.. I hasve been fishkeeping for 20 years now, discus almost a year I know how to take care of them and I know what size they get and food they eat and temps they need to be at. I plan to buy a 90G corner tank when I get the funds.. For now they are staying in this tank. And they are doing just fine.

My temps are 84f. Overstocked perhaps when they get fully grown in 16 months.. But right now with them being 2-4 inches.. Hardly

I'm not trying to be rude, however the point of the forum is to help people. Your tank is overstocked as is, and only going to get worse I was just sharing that fact. The poster above said It perfectly. Unless you have the 90 gallon ready to go don't make your plan for discus. Stock that 40 gallon as a 40 gallon should be stocked, not for the future. That's the biggest factor in growth stunting and poor healthy fish, something happens money gets low and a bigger tank never happens.

As far as temperature, I've always kept my discus at 86 degrees and so has everyone I've dealt with who keep and breed discus professionally.... I'm not saying 84 won't work, 86 is always my recommendation though.

Listen its my money.

You guys just love to attack me when it comes to my discus.. I spent the money on my fish not you, go find something else to do with your time please, because I sure as hell don't have time to argue anymore with the same 2 or 3 flipping morons on this forum.. In fact Mebbid and the other dude your now on ignore. So don't even bother replying.

As for temps.. REALLY your going to attack me now for being at 84f vs 86 LOL.. this is the **** im talking about... They were bred in 84f water, the local breeder I bought 4 from I asked the temps he had them at and it was 84f and so I keep it at 84. I have other fish in this tank besides discus, Neons, cardinals, shrimp. Im not blasting my water to 86-88f..

You guys also have no idea about my financial situation so please don't even go there

Last edited by a moderator:
She had 4 or 5 discus in a even smaller tank then mine for awhile..

Key point "a while" that is currently remedied whereas yours arent. I would also like to point out that its far far more than just the discus tank that people are critical of.

Yea while, I have barely had these discus for 2 months, the others 3 I had for about 3 months the first one I have had for 5 months, ( The sick one that was already stunted)

(moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea while, I have barely had these discus for 2 months, the others 3 I had for about 3 months the first one I have had for 5 months, ( The sick one that was already stunted)

(moderator edit)

The reason most people keep discus by themselves is because of the temperature that they are kept at!

No one is bashing you specifically. I can't stress enough that the point of this forum is to help people and in my opinion point things out in a polite manor. Not one person has said anything incorrectly here, infact the only one that seems to be getting snippy and attack like is you. Your tank is overstocked, end of story. Respond politely to advice/ constructive criticism or don't go on a public forum!

Candyman, this discus tank is overstocked.

Candyman, can I have some of your discus? I have an extra tank. :)

Ok. 90 gallon? Still overstocked... What do you think?

Can we please just let this tired argument die and this thread disappear. He's upgraded the tank. Stop beating a dead horse people.

Back
Top Bottom