Growth stunted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had my jd for about a year now. She was returned to the fish store twice when I took her. She is in a 75gal with a convict female . I do water changes every week. She gets fed pellets daily and live or frozen protein 1-2x a week. But she has only grown about an inch in the year. Is that normal?

Have had my jd for about a year now. She was returned to the fish store twice when I took her. She is in a 75gal with a convict female . I do water changes every week. She gets fed pellets daily and live or frozen protein 1-2x a week. But she has only grown about an inch in the year. Is that normal?

An inch per year is generally slow growth. How large was this JD when you got her? Most fish growth rates slow as they get larger, so this may or may not be a problem depending on the specifics. Has she been laying eggs?

It sounds like you are doing everything right as far as feeding/water changes.

Well she is about 3 maybe 4 inches she doesn't sit still long so it's hard to get a good measurement. She was probably about 2-2.5 inches when i got her. I think it's a her don't know if that matters. She eats everything under the sun! Including fingers lol

Then yes I would assume the people that bought it before you kept it in a 10-20 gallon tank :(

Will she always grow slow? Or do you think the more I can help her somehow? Because my other fish will grow. Well my other convict won't she was a rescue from a very bad situation she will grow slowly as well. Is there anything i can do for her?

She won't grow any faster. The best ways to help a fish grow is water quality, higher temperature, and good quality food. But even with all of these I doubt that it will grow much faster :(

How big are the weekly water changes? Clean water is the key to rapid growth. As well, as a fish gets bigger, growth will seem to be diminished, as the mass increases more than the length.

I agree. The fish will continue to grow but will never reach her full potential. Keep the water as clean as you can and feed a high quality food and know your doing your best. I would up the changes to 50% every week or even more than one per week. My experience with stunted fish is with goldfish and I can tell you water quality plays a large role in over all growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom