Guppies as feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babymama18301

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to breed guppies for feeders for my cichlids once in a while I have a male and female guppy my question is would a 15g be big enough grow out for a batch of babies? And is there any really good food I should feed them? Right now I feed omega one brand.

I use to get them ghost shrimp once in a while but than learned they aren't any good.

Feeder guppies will be just as bad, if not worse. Most African mbuna are algae grazers and too much protein can cause bloat. Just stick to the high quality pellets and you're golden, you could always add in veggies like zucchini or peas

Oh my ok. Also in my pics I have a pic of a albino pleco do you know what kind he is he has egg like patterns on his fins and it about 6 inches and I have had him for almost 1.5 years

This is the food I feed my cichlids. Is it good or is there better stuff? I do give them peas and my pleco cucumber every wed and Sunday

image-3131404785.jpg

Appears to be either an albino common or sailfin

That makes me sad I was told he was a albino Bristol nose when he was small and I didn't think he looked like one once he started getting bigger. I will have talk my pet store see if they will take him my tank is only 55g and I know commons get way to big.

I may be wrong, but doesn't look like a bristlenose to me, can you get a better pic of the head maybe?

I looked up albino sailfin and that sure is him. I just measured him and he's 7.5 inches he grew some since I last measured I'm going see if a friend wants him who has 220. If not ill talk to the pet store sure don't wanna hurt him.

I would like to breed guppies for feeders for my cichlids once in a while I have a male and female guppy my question is would a 15g be big enough grow out for a batch of babies? And is there any really good food I should feed them? Right now I feed omega one brand.

Why not just get a bunch of minnows have a minnow tank and let them reproduce ? Wasteful to use guppies lol

Why not just get a bunch of minnows have a minnow tank and let them reproduce ? Wasteful to use guppies lol

How is it wasteful?! Its not like the OP is going to go buy an IFGA trio and use the fry as feeders. Guppies tend to reproduce more readily and easily than minnows. Typically when people use guppies as feeders they use the wild strains that closer resemble Endlers not the fancy strains.

I got the some lattice yesterday and give them some they like it so I think instead of only two days a week for veggies ill do it every other day is that good or would that be to much?

Back
Top Bottom