Halted Growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwiz123

Aquarium Advice Activist
U guys got any idea why my jack dempseys, and my green terrors just stopped growing ???

They eat more than the jag, he is on a every other day schedule since he's picky

U guys got any idea why my jack dempseys, and my green terrors just stopped growing ???

Green Terror's are really slow growers. I have had mine since Sept and he has barely grown. My JD that I have had since the same time is growing very quickly though.
Large and regular water changes should help with growth.

150g, fx5, weekly 40g change , feed Roseys every other day light feeding of pellets alternate day, some times wax worms

Green Terrors grow very slowly after growing 3/4'' per month for a few months. As for Jack Dempseys, they aren't the fastest too, but they grow around 2/4'' to 1'' per month at MOST. They reach 8''-10'', although 12''-14'' has been seen rarely. Stop feeding live fish, or at least limit it to once a week at most. Just feed as you do, good pellets everyday, and try limiting the meat consumption to prevent deficiencies. If this were a carnivore, such as Clown Knife Fish, this would be something else. Try adding Blood Worms or Krill to their diet instead of live feeder fish. Feeder fish are known to help growth, but feeding a good protein food, like krill will help replace feeder fish, and at the same time, offer natural protein source and limiting the amount of diseases.
Also, start changing 50 gallons-70 gallons weekly instead, as the water quality can affect the growth.

Ok I'll give it a try, I hate running to the store to get feeders anyways, I know they love krill so ill be getting that and what about buying higher quality food, does this make a difference over hikaris pellets

Might I add Roseys are primarily for jaguar, jacks maybe get one or two, but the jag gets them mostly

Food does have a difference in color exposure, growth rate and gastrointestinal health as well as the immune system. Poor foods will degrade you're fish's health and he will be much more susceptible to diseases, and will have a poor growth rate as well as a poor state of health and mind. I personally use Hikari Gold for my cichlids. Although it has some fillers, it's in most fish foods, and I think that Hikari makes excellent food for cichlids and carnivores(my clown knife fish). You can also try checking the cichlid foods at you're Fish Store/Animal Store and look for fish foods that don't have cheap fillers such as flour, and having a fish food with spirulina is a great way to increase colors. Where do you get you're roseys? It's important to make sure that you didn't give them poor quality feeder fish(as they often are). Buying live feeder fish are more expensive then buying krill(freeze dried) or any other ''dead'' meat. My big krill bottle costs around 5$-10$ and lasts me over 4months.

Ya I just purchased some different foods and hikari again thanks all for the great info

Back
Top Bottom