Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has anyone tried MTS in mbuna tank?

I have a bunch in my little planted tank and like the idea of them keeping the substrate turned over a bit. I know mbunas will kill the snails, but these guys tend to stay in the substrate more. So has anyone ended up with some in their mbuna tanks? Im curious to see if the pros would outweigh the cons, and if it would just turn my sand into a graveyard of empty trumpet shells lol Could also be noted that the mbuna shouldnt have much meat in their diet, although i dont think the snails could provide enough to make any difference if that were the case

Thoughts?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

I would think that the mbuna would do a good enough job turning the substrate over themselves.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking for the lower parts. My acei are always turning over the top bit but other than that my mbuna haven't been doing a lot of digging aside from a couple corners. I figured it couldn't hurt to try since I have a bunch in my planted tank, so I put like 10 in a glass jar and turned it upside down on the sand so they had a chance to borrow under. Since then I've been finding shells laying around the tank so idk if they are empty or not lol these guys are crazy when it comes to new creatures, especially if they see it move :P

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have accidentally introduced some MTS from my other tank in with my guys, they don't mess with them (unlike the pond snails which became as thought lunch before they hit the sand), and now my tank is over run with them :/

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralhound View Post
I have accidentally introduced some MTS from my other tank in with my guys, they don't mess with them (unlike the pond snails which became as thought lunch before they hit the sand), and now my tank is over run with them :/

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Really? I forgot to post my findings but they were completely different. I took a handful of MTS and ramshorn snails from my planted tank and put them in a jar to introduce without being eaten right away. I placed the jar upside down to let them get into the substrate first but as soon as the fish seen them after they were been food lol I think the live snail presence in that tank lasted a whole 20 minutes and is now just a graveyard of shells that get tossed around from time to time :P

Tags
mbuna, mts, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com