Have to move..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting ready to move next month. I have a 60 gallon that has been set up for over a year. I have a 100 gallon on stand by for the new place. (Didn't want to set it up now, then have to move it and reset up).. Anyways.

My question is how I should prepare the water in the new 100 gallon?
I was thinking the best way to do it is get a pair of 30 gallon trash cans to move the fish and water. Then set up the tank filling it with 50 gallons of fresh water then add the "dirty" water (60 gallons). Then it would end up being about a 50% water change which my fish are used to.

What do you guys think? Let me know if there's a better way. Thanks

You don't need to haul all the water with you. If it was me i would fill the tank back up and temp match it with the water the fish are in or float the bags. Keep your filter and rocks/decor wet to save the bacteria and you should be good to go with maybe a small mini cycle. The water isn't going to help

Yeah. Just if you can keep your fish warm with plenty of air. Pretend you just bought then from a lfs. Get your new tank watered and dechlorinated then heated ahead of time then put your decor and filters in. Then in go your fish. They will be just fine with all new water as long as your nitrification method stays in tact. I moved about a month ago and have breeding discus as well as a few colonies of breeding plecos. All of these fish or 82 degree + breeds and suffered temps between 68-72 degrees, all received brand new water and heat that night. My discus were spawning again within the week

You don't need to haul all the water with you. If it was me i would fill the tank back up and temp match it with the water the fish are in or float the bags. Keep your filter and rocks/decor wet to save the bacteria and you should be good to go with maybe a small mini cycle. The water isn't going to help

So as far as the move I'm going to get a 30gl trash can. Put all the rocks in the bottom. Then fish and water from the current tank. Seeing as I won't be able to set up the tank right away I'm going to use it as a temporary tank (adding the heater, in/out from the filter and air stone). Then I'll set up the big tank. Prime it and heat it. Then use the filter with dirty media to cycle it. I have a fluval 405 .. Then add the fish after a few days.

cichlid_tank619 said:
So as far as the move I'm going to get a 30gl trash can. Put all the rocks in the bottom. Then fish and water from the current tank. Seeing as I won't be able to set up the tank right away I'm going to use it as a temporary tank (adding the heater, in/out from the filter and air stone). Then I'll set up the big tank. Prime it and heat it. Then use the filter with dirty media to cycle it. I have a fluval 405 .. Then add the fish after a few days.

It'd probably be easier to work with a few 5 gallon buckets instead of one 30 gallon trash can IMO.

It'd probably be easier to work with a few 5 gallon buckets instead of one 30 gallon trash can IMO.

Well I thought it would be a nicer living space for my fish. I have 12 juvie Frontosa, 4 gold Calvus, 3 syndo cats, 4 loach and a birch eel.

I can manage. The trash can has a lid and wheels

I agree. Transport in 5 gallon buckets then combine in your trash can afterwords. Move fish separately from decor and if you have established gravel you plan on housing them with in their temporary home keep an eye on your ammonia levels for the few days after the move. Stirring up that gravel depending on age may throw your cycle out of whack. Moving cichlids and decor separately will ensure safe transportation

I agree. Transport in 5 gallon buckets then combine in your trash can afterwords. Move fish separately from decor and if you have established gravel you plan on housing them with in their temporary home keep an eye on your ammonia levels for the few days after the move. Stirring up that gravel depending on age may throw your cycle out of whack. Moving cichlids and decor separately will ensure safe transportation

This is true! Don't want fish getting crushed by stones! My main concern is not shocking the fish as far as water parameters. Guess it's mini cycle the large tank then "slow drip acclamation" in to the five gallon

I do 100% water changes when I feel like rearranging furniture. Just keep your filter wet they will be fine

I do 100% water changes when I feel like rearranging furniture. Just keep your filter wet they will be fine

Yeah I'm going to keep the filter running in to a 30gallon trash can with fish in it. Putting all the rock and substrate into another

I just moved a 75 gallon the other night and asked the same question. Here is a link with all the information that you need.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/moving-a-tank-for-the-first-time-paranoid-about-leaks-238852.html

Basically like everyone else said have the other tank ready to take fish if you can. Put your substrate in a container, your decorations in a container, your filter in a container with water and your fish in a container with water. The amount of water depends on how much time they will be out of the tank. I used Rubbermaid storage bins which have lids and it worked perfect. The fish were out of the tank for about 5 hours and i had no problems. I checked the water today and no mini cycle or anything.

Back
Top Bottom