Having a couple of cichlids in a non-cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll start off by saying that my knowledge of cichlids is limited to scanning through a couple of articles on keeping them, so I wouldn't say I know anything about them really.

I'm looking at starting a 55G freshwater tank. It's still in the planning stages, but what I want to do is have a whole bunch of tetras -- one or a few large schools -- and I want to have one or two larger, more aggressive fish as "showpiece" fish. Some fish with personality that will keep the tetras in their schools.

I've been looking at some other FW fish that might fit the bill, and I'm sort of leaning towards some type of angel at this point, but I wanted to look into the possibility of using a cichlid or a mated pair of cichlids for this purpose.

Is there any type of cichlid that might work for this, or is this just a terrible idea? I've never heard of keeping cichlids in a tank with any other non-cichlid fish...

Thanks for your help.

I think the tetras will either get eaten or harassed to death. Some of the larger tetra species might be ok, but I think it is a bad idea. Cichlids are best in a species specific tank. Another thing to consider is dietary needs. Cichlids require a low protein diet.

I agree with spoonman. I've kept cichlids in a mixed 100gal tank with larger Silver Dollars, but don't recommend it.

I've been looking at some other FW fish that might fit the bill, and I'm sort of leaning towards some type of angel at this point, but I wanted to look into the possibility of using a cichlid or a mated pair of cichlids for this purpose.

Is there any type of cichlid that might work for this, or is this just a terrible idea? I've never heard of keeping cichlids in a tank with any other non-cichlid fish...

Thanks for your help.

Angels are cichlids. Rams (as mentioned above) would also be fine.

I have not had much experience with angels. On the other hand, in my first tank
I set up, my wife added some black skirted tetra with our juvie African cichlids. We had 5 tetra in all. All was good for about 2-3 months. Then we went on vacation. We came back to 3 tetra with one beating up pretty bad. The remaining tetra ended up moving to a better home in a more peaceful tetra family tank.

We've got 4 angels and 6 german blue rams with our tetras and everyone is getting along fine.

The tetras are more aggressive with each other than the other fish are to them. Weird but true.

Angels do very well with community tanks as long as they're the only semi-aggressive fish. Also with a 55g tank, you might as well only get one angel unless you find an already mated pair. If you get more than one then it'll more than likely widdle down to the toughest angel. I have a German blue ram and a Bolivian ram in my community tank which is mostly all tetras and rainbows. They only get a couple inches though. Another cichlid that does great with communities are keyhole cichlids. They don't grow huge, but will outgrow your tetras and have virtually no aggression. I have kept green severums (hince my username) with community tanks, but you have to make sure all the other fish are too big to fit in its mouth and won't show aggression towards the severum to make it feel like it has to protect its territory. That's where rainbows do great. Other than that there really isn't any other options.

Wow, lots of good information here. Thanks to everyone who replied.

It looks like as far as my tank goes, the only cichlid-related fits are angels and rams. Also, I should either keep just one or try to find a mated pair. Also, I should make sure that the larger fish isn't so big that it can fit any of the tetras in its mouth.

Looking at pictures, I like the rams, I'm sort of leaning towards them right now, especially since there seem to be a wide variety of them.

I already have some neon tetras in my 20G planted tank that will eventually move over to this tank, those will probably be the smallest fish in the tank.

I'll stop by my LFS and see what kind of rams they carry and see if it's reasonable to try and get a mated pair from there. From what I've read, it might be easy to just get a male and a female and see if they live well together (I'm OK if they don't breed, I just don't want them to kill each other).

The only thing I've seen about caring for rams beyond regular FW fish care is most of them require a pH in a certain range, which I believe my FW tank is on the higher end of that range. Is there anything else I should be considering to make these guys happy, or will I be OK as long as I don't cycle the tank with these guys (I'll be doing a fishless cycle)?

Rams are pretty easy to tend to. My ph is at 7.6. I would make sure to make plenty of hiding places because rams are kind of shy and can get stressed out sometimes. My Bolivian is like that buy my german blue is active and acts like all my other fish. Weirdest thing

Hey I am also considering getting rams in a community tank. Any one know if having two rams and just one angel would be okay together? Along with some bigger schoolers as well...

Hey I am also considering getting rams in a community tank. Any one know if having two rams and just one angel would be okay together? Along with some bigger schoolers as well...

I don't really see a problem with it as long as the tank is large enough. I have two rams and a gourami which is also semi-aggressive with no problems. What size is your tank and how planted is it?

its a 50 gal, 36 long, 21 tal, 18 deep. sand with rocks and drift wood, and only three 'soon to be' plants in there. i really dont want a planted tank, but i decided i am going to put just three in there though, to add some color. id love to have some rams and an angel. if i did do that, which do i introduce first to the tank? both baby angel and baby rams at same time? if i do that, then id have to add the schoolers later. is that okay, as long as their bigger schoolers, so they dont fit into angels mouth?

I would add them at the same time so they can pick where they want their territories. You could also add the schoolers and rams at the same time and add the angels later. That's how I would do it.

ok, so you'd add the rams and schoolers first? then the angel later on? rams are peaceful right? so when the baby angel gets placed in, the rams won't mess with it, will they?

No, rams tend to only mess with other rams. Mine don't bother anything including each other. Angels do tend to be a little moody no matter what size they are. That's a big enough tank that it shouldn't be a problem. The rams only get a couple inches while the angels get 4"-5" depending on what kind.

Honestly I have never had issues mingling cichlids with community fish before. I currently have a 55 myself with mollies and cichlid. Everyone usually in a tank that big find their own corner and leave each other alone, if you crowd your tank and don't give enough hiding spaces then you create issues. But for what you are describing you should have no trouble

I'll start off by saying that my knowledge of cichlids is limited to scanning through a couple of articles on keeping them, so I wouldn't say I know anything about them really.

I'm looking at starting a 55G freshwater tank. It's still in the planning stages, but what I want to do is have a whole bunch of tetras -- one or a few large schools -- and I want to have one or two larger, more aggressive fish as "showpiece" fish. Some fish with personality that will keep the tetras in their schools.

Thanks for your help.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
See the attached picture below. Chances are, it will be the last thing your Tetras see.
You may be able to try a couple of female Dwarf Cichlids.
The Electric Blue Ram & the German Blue Ram are peaceful, cost around $9.00. The Rams are good community fish.
There is also the Albino Krebensis, it's too is peaceful and goes for around $7.50. Other than it's peaceful I don't know much about them.
There are some fancy Dwarf Cichlids like the, Double Full Red Cockatoo Cichlid. It's Semi aggressive but very timid, so not likely to start the fight. Unlike other Cichlids who can and will fight to the death.
The Double Red is an incredibly beautiful Cichlid, but the price is a lot. They cost around $70.00, ad bit much for one fish.
The female Cichlids are less aggressive than the males as a rule, but not always. They to can get fiesty and hold their own in a fight.
I hope this information helps you with your tank.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom