Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coupe47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a friend . And he has a 120 gal. Hand we were talking late last night and he wants to move his heater so he can't see it. So he asked me if he could put it in the coral gravel to hide it and in thought it would not be a problem . But I would like some opinions from the group here so I could help him out .

no problem asd far as i know,mines in my filter,i wouldnt as they arent that

i have a built in filter that covers the whole legnth of my aquarium,it had a gap so i put my heater in it

Regz8000 said:
i have a built in filter that covers the whole legnth of my aquarium,it had a gap so i put my heater in it

Is your filter a under gravel one

I hide mine behind some rocks in the corner. I also have another one on the other side for back up just in case. I like to hide everything.

my heater is black, and my background is black, and it is pretty mych invisible other than the little light that comes on.

I like them to be hidden to and I have mine in the corner and it will be hidden by plants. But by buddy ask me if he could lay his down and cover it with gravel. So my question is if he did this. Would this affect heating the tank. Would there be a problem with his African ciclids . He say they dig would this be a problem.

Those heaters get pretty hot so burying it will force it to retain heat.
Heat the gravel, gravel retains heat.
Heat will not circulate as well.
Africans like to dig.

So!!!

It's no problem if you don't mind.

Hot/cold spots in your aquarium.
Potential over heating of the heater (Possibly burning up).
Cichlids potentially getting burnt or cooked by digging into hot gravel.

If all this sounds good to you then your good to go.

LoL, It's a bad idea, tell your friend to hide it behind something or get a sump and put the heater in the sump. I don't know what his filter looks like, but maybe he could fit it in there. ;)

Those heaters get pretty hot so burying it will force it to retain heat.
Heat the gravel, gravel retains heat.
Heat will not circulate as well.
Africans like to dig.

So!!!

It's no problem if you don't mind.

Hot/cold spots in your aquarium.
Potential over heating of the heater (Possibly burning up).
Cichlids potentially getting burnt or cooked by digging into hot gravel.

If all this sounds good to you then your good to go.

LoL, It's a bad idea, tell your friend to hide it behind something or get a sump and put the heater in the sump. I don't know what his filter looks like, but maybe he could fit it in there. ;)
i agree with that,its not really worth it.

I am running a inline heater on the output of my canister and love that it is hidden. They are about 80 bucks

Back
Top Bottom