Heavy stocking cichlid tank advice....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nellynel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that a heavily stocked tank will keep down aggression and fish will still be happy...right now in a 55gal I have a red jewel, turquoise jewel, bumble bee, auratus, feather fin cat, and a couple very small Chinese algae eaters...what do you think about adding more?

ForumRunner_20130731_120950.jpg

ForumRunner_20130731_121144.jpg

ForumRunner_20130731_121209.jpg

Overstocking is used in tanks where natural harmony doesn't exist due to poor stocking. A properly stocked rift lake tank should not need to be overstocked. Your aggression will not be fixed by doing this. You have some volatile species in there like auratus and crabro (bumblebee), not to mention that crabro will out grow a 55, and the jewels aren't even rift lake cichlids (west african species)

Overstocking is used in tanks where natural harmony doesn't exist due to poor stocking. A properly stocked rift lake tank should not need to be overstocked. Your aggression will not be fixed by doing this. You have some volatile species in there like auratus and crabro (bumblebee), not to mention that crabro will out grow a 55, and the jewels aren't even rift lake cichlids (west african species)

Yes i know the jewels were originally found in the Congo, Nile and Niger rivers but they have similar temperament. If the bumble bee gets too big I'll give it to a pet store although I've never seen a big one. Since many fish don't reach full size in aquariums...that may be the case for him. I'm trying to see if more can be added or if its not recommended and why...I've seen many tanks this size with ten or more fish

Fish don't reach their full size in aquariums because people stock the fish in tanks that they have no business being in the first place or over crowd them which stunts their growth.

When the fish are kept at optimal water conditions, fed regularly and have an appropriately or over sized tank they have the potential to grow larger than most people expect.

Fish don't reach their full size in aquariums because people stock the fish in tanks that they have no business being in the first place or over crowd them which stunts their growth.

Agreed. Stunting makes the body stop growing, but the organs continue to, causing a slow and painful death.

Also, most of the time, those tank are stocked properly with compatible species that allows for several specimens. When you don't stock properly, you'll have issues, and with two highly aggressive species like the auratus and the bumblebee, you're bound to have issues. Talk to a member named Convict on here, he mixed and matched and ended up having major issues.

When the fish are kept at optimal water conditions, fed regularly and have an appropriately or over sized tank they have the potential to grow larger than most people expect.

Agreed. Stunting makes the body stop growing, but the organs continue to, causing a slow and painful death.

Also, most of the time, those tank are stocked properly with compatible species that allows for several specimens. When you don't stock properly, you'll have issues, and with two highly aggressive species like the auratus and the bumblebee, you're bound to have issues. Talk to a member named Convict on here, he mixed and matched and ended up having major issues.

Please listen to these members They know what they are talking about from their own or others experiences.

Also i see you have a divider in the tank witch tells me you have had a problem already.

These fish are compatible as far as I know. They're not trying to kill each other....just the occasional stand off chase and nibble that all cichlids do. The only reason I have one jewel isolated is because I brought him from a PS already beat up and I'm giving him time to heal.

I've done the mix and match with different mbuns and I don't really recommend it but it has worked for me a year and some months into it. The auratus will be a problem and my experience with bees is different mine are soft lol.

Now I may trade the bumble bee for something that doesn't get as big.

These fish are compatible as far as I know. They're not trying to kill each other....just the occasional stand off chase and nibble that all cichlids do. The only reason I have one jewel isolated is because I brought him from a PS already beat up and I'm giving him time to heal.

Oh ok but really the 2 members helping you do know what they are talking about. They will save you a lot of problems that you wont see right away.

I've done the mix and match with different mbuns and I don't really recommend it but it has worked for me a year and some months into it. The auratus will be a problem and my experience with bees is different mine are soft lol.

Yeah my bee is like twice the size of the auratus but the auratus always runs him away when she wants too.....i read the female auratus is not as aggressive as the male too

My female don't get a chance to be aggressive b/c she's Always avoiding the male lol you may have young male you'll know if it turns black.

The auratus doesn't mess with the jewels.
The auratus only chases the bee and the catfish sometimes.
The jewels leave the auratus along but the auratus gets out of their way.
The jewels sometimes have a standoff with the bee but it never gets serious and the bee usually backs down.

They also will get more aggressive with age so it just may take some time. if you do add more try to get like 1 male to 3 females or all males.

My female don't get a chance to be aggressive b/c she's Always avoiding the male lol you may have young male you'll know if it turns black.

Yeah I've seen the blackish bluish males the size of mine and smaller so I believe its a female. Have yours spawned?

Yep twice in the last month and a half still got a few survivors.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130731_182538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130731_182538.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20130731_182602.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130731_182602.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 72
Oh ok but really the 2 members helping you do know what they are talking about. They will save you a lot of problems that you wont see right away.

I'm sure they may have a lot of knowledge and that's why I'm thinking about trading my bee for something that doesn't get as big. I did think they would max out at about 5,6 inches. My question was about possibly adding more fish and that didn't get addressed.

Back
Top Bottom