help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owl307

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay. I have a 40g tank that i am switching to chiclids. I would like to get an extremely easy cichlid to breed like a convict but i would like to have something else in the tank. would a convict be okay or maybe a yellow lab? i don't know but i really like cichlids and i have done a ton of reaserch! I still can't decide. please help. parrots are cool too....i would really like to breed to. i have had much expiriance but this will be my first cichlid tank. i have had kribensis, livebearers, julies, gouramis and more.
thanks
mel

Best not mix africans with south americans due to different temperament, diet and water conditions. Plus the size of tank rules out parrot, mbuna and large s/a fish.

If the convicts breed they become extremely aggressive towards other fish and the female. And they are so prolific breeders that tank will be full in no time. So skip other cichlids and try some smaller tropicals like tetras but I would keep that tank a convict spieces.

so would it be best to choose a diffrent spiciese or stick with convict and only have the pair. i have a few other tanks but the last 10g filter just broke so i would need another filter....

If you choose the convicts I would leave them alone if they have paired. Otherwise you could do some dwarf mbuna, tang shellies or smaller s/a cichlids like firemouths, or african jewels are nice.

If you try and mix the convicts with firemouths or such just have back up tank just in case.

i was looking on line and some one said rainbows with convicts? so far i dont think that is a good idea..... do you know of any other cichlids that breed readily? alot of them seem to but there are a ton of cichlids to choose from! thanks for your quick reply! i think i would like a mouthbrooder but anything that will spawn on its own and isnt giant is okay with me!

German Blue Rams, or some type of ram. They are however tricky to keep alive.(just found that out) They will lay eggs and if the water parameters are close I hear they are pretty easy to breed. They are similar to kribs, but in a 40 gal. with a lot of hiding spots you may be able to get 2 pair or you will definitly have more room for other fish.

And convicts are sometimes hyper aggressive. I have seen them bully oscars around, and I have had my old convict run everything out of the tank including me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom