Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HB87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently put my Red Devil into a 55 gallon tank. I made sure the water conditions were right first... But 2 days ago when I went into my room the water in her tank was bright green. I did a water change n over night the water seemed to clear but every night since the water has been green!! Ive done the water change n agian water was clear each morning. Any idea what is going on or how to fix it????? :(

How do you know for sure the water was okay? Did you use a test kit? And to the best of my knowledge, its an alge bloom but I can't be too sure because I need you too post a picture of the tank as soon as possible if not now

Yes I used a test kit that I bought at Petsmart. I couldnt get a very good picture from far away but heres a close up (not sure if it is good enough but its the best I could get, sorry)

Sorry my fish is kinda in the pic... She likes to play lol...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110922_003750.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110922_003750.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 74
Take one from far away please is it the API master test kit? Or the strips

It does look to me like an alge bloom. What fish are in it and how long has it been set up

Sorry I was trying to get a good enough pic.. No luck :(

It has been setup about 2 weeks almost 3 (i put her in the tank after 2 weeks of it being setup) I only have my Red Devil in it. Ohh, and I used the test kit with the tubes not strips... I read sunlight causes algea but the tank isnt in sunlight or near any windows... So if it is algea what do I do???

Well to start, what are your water parameters, I dont think your tank is fully cycled yet and that may have caused the alge bloom. Tell me what your water parameters are first and we will go from there

I cant test it at the moment but I can tell you it was at 6.7 pH before I did a water change this evening (i cant remember exact nitrites and nitrates but I know they were okay) and the water is at 78° currently. I can get a current test result in the morning. Sorry :-/

That fine. Just test in the morning and keep us updated. Your tank will be fine, its just alge even though it is very ugly and if you can it wouldn't hurt to do a fairly big water change like 50% and sponge any alge off the tank walls

Okay... Thanks I will update in the morning. I will do a 50% change tomorrow... Algea wont harm my fish will it? How do I get rid of it? I would rather not use chemicals if possible... Im sorry for all the questions.. The whole tank turning green kind of freaks me out and like you said.. Its ugly :( lol

Well for mine all I did was a couple water changes before it got horrible. And test the water before you change any and post the parameters and after that I can let you know some more but we need those results first

Okay... I will post in the morning with the results before I change the water. Thank you for the help btw :)

Algae needs light and nutrient s to grow. What's probably caused it is that your either feeding to much and the food is breaking down and giving of ammonia or your leaving the lights on too long. Leave the light s off completely for 2 or 3 days and do a 50% water change every day. This should start to bring it under control. If it continues you may have to put a blanket over the tank to completely stop any light getting in whilst continuing with water changes. Your fish will be ok whilst doing this they can live without light for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom