Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kt23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a lil new to this fish tank thing and I have a 65 gallon corner tank. I have 2 black convicts and 3 Oscar fish and 2 dinosaur fish and 1 rainbow shark.. Are this fish good together I got the tank as is.. But I need help on keeping it up to date

Start by getting a test kit. Probably the most important purchase you'll make. Amazon has API kits for $17, which is half of what you'll pay in a store.

Btw, your Oscars will need their own tank or a really big tank at some point.
I am not sure about your shark

Woops. Sorry about the double post

Ok well the person who gave it to me also gave me the strip test and water conditioner.. Will the fish be ok in this kinda tank? Thanks for the help

Kt23 said:
Ok well the person who gave it to me also gave me the strip test and water conditioner.. Will the fish be ok in this kinda tank? Thanks for the help

Strip test aren't very accurate. I would still recommend a liquid test kit. How big are all of the fish? Is the tank cycled? Congrats on your tank!

christine2012 said:
Btw, your Oscars will need their own tank or a really big tank at some point.
I am not sure about your shark and dinos. .

Woops. Sorry about the double post

Ok well I was thinking about getting rid of the Oscar fish and just keeping the black convicts and the rainbow shark will they be ok together. I believe is a male and female about 2 in each

Kt23 said:
Yes I h e 2 about 1 in long. And the tank is cycled

I don't think keeping the shark with them will work out long term. But maybe someone else can clear that up.

Imo, you can try it out for awhile with the convicts and bichirs. I've successfully kept a bichir with a Dempsey before. Your convicts may compete for your bichirs food, but you can target feed with a Turkey baster if need be. But, if you keep them together, do it with caution. And be prepared to rehome somebody , if a situation arises. Depending on the difference in size between the two species, I think a bichir can and will eat a convict if it fits in his mouth!

I agree with the other poster but those birchirs are small it will take some time for them to get that big also it is possible to keep birchirs with other fish the key is keep them full I had one mixed in a community tank for years but I also had a 20 gallon full of breeding guppies and would put a scoop in time to time keep his belly full lol

Greenphantom said:
I agree with the other poster but those birchirs are small it will take some time for them to get that big also it is possible to keep birchirs with other fish the key is keep them full I had one mixed in a community tank for years but I also had a 20 gallon full of breeding guppies and would put a scoop in time to time keep his belly full lol

Also you are quite overstocked I would rehome the oscar or get a bigger tank

Thanks for all the help it's really helpful.. Well I will be getting rid of the oscar fish and the rainbow shark . I'm only keeping the convicts in less anyone suggest other type of fish I want to start of with just 2 fish and possibly breed them and get other fish to stock the tank any suggestions plz and thanks for all the help I reall appreciate it

I would advice against breeding convicts are prolific breeders and most places WONT buy them thus your tank will be full of them in no time

Greenphantom said:
I would advice against breeding convicts are prolific breeders and most places WONT buy them thus your tank will be full of them in no time

Any suggestions on what kinda fish are good for this tank

Um there is alot of different things you can do its all about what you like but first you need to RESEARCH everything before you put anything in the tank and make sure all your tank mates are compatible research is the most important thing you can do DO NOT IMPULSE BUY I have done this quite a few times and it can get expensive and sad because you get quite attached after you have something for awhile I like exotic plecos and odd ball fish. Moral of the story research research research

Greenphantom said:
Um there is alot of different things you can do its all about what you like but first you need to RESEARCH everything before you put anything in the tank and make sure all your tank mates are compatible research is the most important thing you can do DO NOT IMPULSE BUY I have done this quite a few times and it can get expensive and sad because you get quite attached after you have something for awhile I like exotic plecos and odd ball fish. Moral of the story research research research

Couldn't agree more, hardest thing not to do at the start is impulse buy, though it's harder taking the fish back. Bought Tiger Barbs months ago and thought if I got a large enough group it would be okay, not the case - they had every other fish swimming around in a panic once they grew up a bit, stressed out, never again and at that point I'd got to really love them. One day it was fine, the next morning every fish was in a different corner crapping itself.

I currently have 1 convict, 1 jack Dempsey, 1 parrot cichlid, and a pleco with a pair of clown loaches. With south Americans I wouldn't do pairs bc they get more aggressive in pairs. Try adding a JD and I would stay away from oscars they are terrors at times . Also no shark will really go well with cichlids, they nip an grow fast. Make sure you have lots of caves and hiding spots for them and they should be fine ;)

Greenphantom said:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Unfortunately, I learned the hard way too, about impulse buys.

Back
Top Bottom