Help!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbourg746

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok.......I had an ich outbreak in my 55gal with my two jack dempseys. I decided to use the heat and salt method. So far so good. I came in a little while ago to see my 3 yr old son standing on the arm of the sofa dumping a bag of aquarium salt into the tank. My best guess is there's about 12oz of salt now in the tank. What should I do???

WATER CHANGES! several large ones. Make sure to vacuum the crystals too. My 2 yo fed a cycling tank chocolate milk yesterday, I feel your pain.

Agreed. Do several large water changes. You may have to do back to back. Make sure to get the salt crystals as many as you can. Salt in your Cichlid tank isn't the end of the world as you get some of it out. I had a columnaris outbreak and you wouldn't believe the amount of salt I used.

I vac out what I could but that stuff dissolves fast. How much water should I change? At least 50%? Funny thing is the fish seem to like the salt. They were swimming around the spot where the salt had settled.

I'd probably do a 75% pwc and then another medium sized one tomorrow maybe. Like 30-40%. That's just me though. Somebody else may have a differing opinion.

They are doing good. I did a 75% water change followed by a 50% water change. They really were in great spirits while the salt water was in the tank. Didn't seen to affect them one bit. If anything it pep'd them up a bit. Good news also was the ich is cleared up. Thanks for your concern. I was actually just about to post the update when I saw your reply.

Back
Top Bottom