Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilMartinez

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish tanks are crazy! My 120g and 60g tanks had high nitrates, so I did a 50% water change on both tanks. The next day (yesterday) I tested both tanks and both had ammonia at 4.0 ppm, nitrite at 5.0 ppm, and nitrate at 10 ppm. I did another 50% water change last night after the readings. Today they both read at 0.50 ppm ammonia, 0.50 ppm nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. What's going on? How do I fix this? This has never happened in either tank.

AprilMartinez said:
My fish tanks are crazy! My 120g and 60g tanks had high nitrates, so I did a 50% water change on both tanks. The next day (yesterday) I tested both tanks and both had ammonia at 4.0 ppm, nitrite at 5.0 ppm, and nitrate at 10 ppm. I did another 50% water change last night after the readings. Today they both read at 0.50 ppm ammonia, 0.50 ppm nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. What's going on? How do I fix this? This has never happened in either tank.

Some how you lost your cycle or there is something or someone dead or your way over feeding.

What has happend before you noticed this?
Did you replace the filter media? Or rinse it wrong?
Is there a fish missing?
What filters are you using?

The only thing to do is water changes, water changes and more water changes. I would use prime every 24 hours and do 50-75% water changes to keep it under control. Till you can find the problem or it settles

Last edited:
I have actually started feeding less the last few weeks. I added some moss to the 60g. I haven't changed any media in my 60g Emheim. I did change new sponges in the 120g fluval fx5 but only on two of the trays. I left an original sponge for the bacteria.

Also, the 60 gallon is cloudy while the 120 is crystal clear. I smelled all the snails, and they are peachy keen. Not dead. I don't get it.

Something happend not sure on what but it looks like a fish in cycle from here. I know that's not what you wanted to hear so sorry about that. Did you add meds or any kind of chemical?

The normal water conditioner. That's all. Ammo lock to ensure it didn't get higher over night. Crazy. Idk what I did. Ugh. Thanks for the help though. Water changes here I come.

AprilMartinez said:
The normal water conditioner. That's all. Ammo lock to ensure it didn't get higher over night. Crazy. Idk what I did. Ugh. Thanks for the help though. Water changes here I come.

No problem anytime ;)

So, I've been doing 50% water changes on the tanks. Both of them have had 8 ppm in ammonium and dark purple on nitrites while the nitrates stayed between 10-20 ppm. The ammonium would go down to 2 ppm afterwards and the nitrites to a lighter purple. All the water I took out, I used API water conditioner, aquarium salt, and ammo lock since our tap water does have some ammonia in it. Tonight, I walked past the tanks and the120g was clouded white and my fish were all at the surface trying to breath and some not moving at the bottom of the tank. I quickly drained the tank and moved the fish into a large plastic container with aerators,and new water which tested at .5 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0nitrates. So I know they'll be good for a while. I'm thinking the problem is the fluval fx5. I don't think it's working right. It kicks on but hardly blows any water out and the intake doesn't seem to have too much suction. I'm going to clean this monster thoroughly tomorrow after work and buying a new fluval. Do you think from the previous threads this could have messed up my cycle and wiped everything out of this 120g tank? Any suggestions on what I can use as cleaners for the tank walls? Also, there was a horrible swampy gas smell in the water. Could that be an indication of disease or infection? Thanks.

AprilMartinez said:
So, I've been doing 50% water changes on the tanks. Both of them have had 8 ppm in ammonium and dark purple on nitrites while the nitrates stayed between 10-20 ppm. The ammonium would go down to 2 ppm afterwards and the nitrites to a lighter purple. All the water I took out, I used API water conditioner, aquarium salt, and ammo lock since our tap water does have some ammonia in it. Tonight, I walked past the tanks and the120g was clouded white and my fish were all at the surface trying to breath and some not moving at the bottom of the tank. I quickly drained the tank and moved the fish into a large plastic container with aerators,and new water which tested at .5 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0nitrates. So I know they'll be good for a while. I'm thinking the problem is the fluval fx5. I don't think it's working right. It kicks on but hardly blows any water out and the intake doesn't seem to have too much suction. I'm going to clean this monster thoroughly tomorrow after work and buying a new fluval. Do you think from the previous threads this could have messed up my cycle and wiped everything out of this 120g tank? Any suggestions on what I can use as cleaners for the tank walls? Also, there was a horrible swampy gas smell in the water. Could that be an indication of disease or infection? Thanks.

With high ammonia its going to gas off and more than likely have a smell. I'm totally confused on why and what happend here for this to just all of a sudden crash. The filter will hold most to almost all of the bacteria. How long has it been since you cleaned it? I personally like the rena canisters and I will never use anything else. They have been with me for 8+ years and I've never had a problem. Since it hardly has no flow to it take it apart and clean everything in old tank water. That might just be part of the problem. It wouldn't wipe out the BB it just isn't filtering fast enough to lower the ammonia, nitrite buildup. On a 120g I would be looking to get another canister.

If you have glass tops take them off as this will help with with gas exchange and create more surface movement. By aiming a power head up or by having a bubbler.

Last edited:
I'm going to buy another one today after work. I have no clue either as to why it crashed. I cleaned/replaced new filters a few weeks back and had no problems. I just don't get it.

I have actually started feeding less the last few weeks. I added some moss to the 60g. I haven't changed any media in my 60g Emheim. I did change new sponges in the 120g fluval fx5 but only on two of the trays. I left an original sponge for the bacteria.

What is the stockage of the 120g? It sounds like the 120g was maxed out in bacteria capacity, hence when you changed the sponges you got a big ammonia spike.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been working all week. Let's see, I have:

3 demasoni
5 Acei
4 auratus
1 Frontosa
2 dwarf pleco
1 regular pleco
3 bumble bee
10 moori (not sure of this count, could be less)

Is that a lot? I could get more....

The frontosa is still small. I actually have two of them but had to separate them. I know they get large so eventually they'll go in a tank by themselves.

The tanks (after a new filtration system on the 120g and many pwc's) have started to even out again. I have to work on the fluval fx5 this weekend and see if I can get it running. Then, if I can fix it, I'll move it to the 60g; move the Emheim from the 60g and add it to the new pump I just bought in the 120g tank. Needless to say, that room is a wreck and so is my back. But it's worth it....I think.

AprilMartinez said:
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been working all week. Let's see, I have:

3 demasoni
5 Acei
4 auratus
1 Frontosa
2 dwarf pleco
1 regular pleco
3 bumble bee
10 moori (not sure of this count, could be less)

Is that a lot? I could get more....

The frontosa is still small. I actually have two of them but had to separate them. I know they get large so eventually they'll go in a tank by themselves.

The tanks (after a new filtration system on the 120g and many pwc's) have started to even out again. I have to work on the fluval fx5 this weekend and see if I can get it running. Then, if I can fix it, I'll move it to the 60g; move the Emheim from the 60g and add it to the new pump I just bought in the 120g tank. Needless to say, that room is a wreck and so is my back. But it's worth it....I think.

The frontosa shouldn't be in there really because its not a Malawi cichlid like the others. The moorii and bees get really big. At full grown sizes I believe this tank is going to have issues. Bit glad to hear the quality is getting better

AprilMartinez said:
IYO, who should I group together?

It's just to many big fish if you really have ten of them imo. And really none of them should go into the 30 gallon. Your going to need to eventually rehome some of the moorii and or crabro.

If it was me and if I remember right that this is a 6' tank I'd go with:

2 bees, 4 moorii and all the others but still may have problems
Or
3 bee, 5-6 moorii
Or
One 6' tank for a species only tank of all the moorii

The bees and moorii get 9" big and if I may add this is just a guess on numbers.

Sounds like your filter hose's are blocked with gunk, hardly any suction and no power outflow. Give them a good clean out or buy new hose, don't touch your filter media and might be as good as new.

Back
Top Bottom