Help a rookie out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I had a fish tank up and running and a coworker of my brother had fish that he was looking to get rid of due to his moving into a smaller place, so he gave me four fish I've never had before, so I googled them, and turns out one is an electric yellow lab cichlid and the other three look like cichlids as well, identical to the electric yellow, but they do not have the black stripe on the fin. And they are only an inch and a half, maybe two inches long. My tank is only a ten gallon, and I know it's way too small but bare with me, I saved these fish from getting flushed down the drain, and I'm working on getting at least a 55 gallon tank by Christmas. So please don't cast all your negativity about cramping my fish into a puddle of water. I have never had cichlids before and I'm new to the whole water levels and testing stuff. But I bought a ph adjuster and now my ph is about 8.2 according to the test strip. My test strips have I think five different test squares. Ph, alkalinity, two nitrate squares (no3,no2) and then gh for water hardness. My nitrates are way too high and so I did a %50 water change, and now I have these microscopic white organism floating around my tank and crawling in the glass. My fish are definitely stressed. My electric yellow lab has black blotches everywhere and black stripes are appearing on his sides. I my other yellow cichlids don't run around the tank, they just sort of float in one spot, as if they're sleeping or lethargic. Also, they're not eating much at all. I have no idea how to adjust my nitrates, and I'm not a genius with the whole nitrogen cycle. Also. My water is super hard, and I don't know what sort of products to use to make it soft. Ive been storing jugs of water and letting it sit for days to use for my water changing, but does that help with the hardness of the water? Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

ForumRunner_20131105_082443.jpg

ForumRunner_20131105_082512.jpg

Did you cycle the tank? The black markings could be ammonia burns from to much ammonia. As long as your nitrate reading are high keep changing water. Also ph adjusters typically aren't a good thing to have. They can cause unstable ph and allow the ph to crash which can be harmful to the fish. As for the hardness your fish will like the hardness. There's no product that truly will fix this. When you do your changes just add dechlorinator to the tank before you put new tap water in and make sure it's close in temperature.

Electric Yellow labs naturally have black along their fins and some have bars on the sides, tho they typically the bars are in lower quality or hybrids. You're fish seem to be having an issue with an uncylced tank. The test strips are completely useless. They are extremely inaccurate. Do your fish a favor and get a liquid test kit (API freshwater master kit is the most commonly available in the US). They are pretty reasonably priced if you order them online, but most big box stores have them available for just a few dollars more. Take a look at this article and let us know if you have any questions.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

As for your hardness African Cichlids come from hard water so I wouldn't mess with any type of buffer, they'll cause more harm than good. Same with pH buffers. Steady pH is better than the "right" pH.

The only way to remove nitrates from your tank is to do water changes. Until you have a test kit and know that your tank is cycled, do 50% daily water changes. Be sure to use a dechlorinator when you refill the tank. Most water supplies use chloramines which are extremely harmful to fish. Prime by Seachem is a popular choice as it also helps to detoxify ammonia.

Hopefully I've answered all your questions. If I missed any, let me know.

Thanks so much for the advice, I read the article and it was actually pretty helpful. I'll try and find a test kit online. Where would your best bet be to look? Also, those micro organisms are really worrying me. I just did a %20 water change to my tank and now it looks like there's double the amount of them. My water is almost cloudy. Im watching them crawl around on my glass right now. Should I be worried about them?

ForumRunner_20131105_192802.jpg

The little white things are probably just little bigs harmless to fish. Usually caused by excess nutrients so you may be feeding to much. Scrape them off and do a water change should help with their numbers

The cloudy water is likely because of the ammonia. It'll clear up as your bacterial colony grows.

Back
Top Bottom