HELP beloved parrot fish hurt bad!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

Have not been on here in a while because of the app being disabled for me!! However I hope everyone is doing well. Here's my issue today I hope all of you cichlid lovers could help me out with.

So about a month ago I noticed an irritation on my parrot fish' nostrils and did not do anything about it because it seemed fine. She is 4 years old and always super healthy. Slowly this issue has been getting worse and today I decided I have to get this app working again because I need urgent help. I walked into the tank room only to see her (a 8 inch fish) smashing her face against the wall of the tank like she was trying to tip it over!!! She is the head of the tank, still eating fine, but it looks like she smashing that part of the nose. I'll attach pictures...parasites?? Idk what do and need help Asap. It is not a bullying issue because nobody touches her EVER. I love her someone please help.
70 gallon
PH 7.4
Temp 84
Not over crowded.
Help :(
Thank you so much in advance!! <3ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450758503.111931.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450758516.011222.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this the parrot that has had ongoing issue?

I'm not up on the cichlid section so all I can think of is an ulcer (furan 2 treatment).

Is this the parrot that has had ongoing issue?

I'm not up on the cichlid section so all I can think of is an ulcer (furan 2 treatment).

No never really had issues. Only swim bladder a few times in her life. Is mela fix a good fix. What is furan 2?

No never really had issues. Only swim bladder a few times in her life. Is mela fix a good fix. What is furan 2?

My recommendation: Water changes! Could be one of those head erosion things large cichlids so often get with poor water, but I do not have the knowledge to diagnose such problem. If that's the case your best solution is pristine water...

I do not know about furan II so I can't comment on it...

My recommendation: Water changes! Could be one of those head erosion things large cichlids so often get with poor water, but I do not have the knowledge to diagnose such problem. If that's the case your best solution is pristine water...

I do not know about furan II so I can't comment on it...

Great thanks. I thought the same but my water is usually pristine. I do not think that is the problem. Not sure why she was trying to smash her head against the wall of the tank :(

Great thanks. I thought the same but my water is usually pristine. I do not think that is the problem. Not sure why she was trying to smash her head against the wall of the tank :(

If its self induced blunt trauma the only remedy im aware of is to keep the water clean! Hope he clears up

If its self induced blunt trauma the only remedy im aware of is to keep the water clean! Hope he clears up

Thank you! Not to sound silly but could she have damaged her bones my smashing?

Thank you? Not to sound silly but could she have damaged her bones my smashing?

Most likely not. It may be a lighting issue with the room and the tank. If she is seeing her reflection in the glass she will attack it. My hybrid will do this but tries to bite the glass rather than ram it.

Most likely not. It may be a lighting issue with the room and the tank. If she is seeing her reflection in the glass she will attack it. My hybrid will do this but tries to bite the glass rather than ram it.

I noticed anytime she tries, i shut the lights off and she calms down. She's still very active but got aggressive towards the other cichlids

Melafix is more for preventing bacterial infections (ie low level med) whereas furan 2 is a proper antibacterial which can be used for severe columnaris infections, etc. Like the older med triple sulpha, furan 2 also helps with single cell parasite infections. Information in first link and a product in second link. Other antibacterials can be purchased as medicated fish feed.

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Tetra® Fungus Guard Freshwater Fish Fungal Infection Treatment | Fungus | PetSmart

I'm assuming here that tank water quality has nitrates less than 20ppm or better and there is no risk of heavy metals from tap water (a water conditioner such as prime will safe guard against this).

It all depends on how the irritation started and what caused it to keep growing. eg repeated injury or injury and secondary bacterial infection for example.

A parasite infection would depend on if you are using live foods or added any new fish recently.

Water quality can be other things apart from nitrates and heavy metals. Fine filter wool for example.

Some thoughts anyways to see if anything rings a bell.

Melafix is more for preventing bacterial infections (ie low level med) whereas furan 2 is a proper antibacterial which can be used for severe columnaris infections, etc. Like the older med triple sulpha, furan 2 also helps with single cell parasite infections. Information in first link and a product in second link. Other antibacterials can be purchased as medicated fish feed.

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Tetra® Fungus Guard Freshwater Fish Fungal Infection Treatment | Fungus | PetSmart

I'm assuming here that tank water quality has nitrates less than 20ppm or better and there is no risk of heavy metals from tap water (a water conditioner such as prime will safe guard against this).

It all depends on how the irritation started and what caused it to keep growing. eg repeated injury or injury and secondary bacterial infection for example.

A parasite infection would depend on if you are using live foods or added any new fish recently.

Water quality can be other things apart from nitrates and heavy metals. Fine filter wool for example.

Some thoughts anyways to see if anything rings a bell.

Thanks for the response! All parameters are perfect, no new fish added within 6 months, and I don't feed live food. Also can I treat with furan 2 or other strong antibacterials with other fish in the tank? My hospital tank is not set up at the moment and regardless would not be big enough for her to survive in.

Generally I've had no trouble treating in tank (except expense :) ). I'd check ammonia but generally I find the older a tank, the more robust the bacterial population.

Still, could be worth seeing if you get other replies.

Generally I've had no trouble treating in tank (except expense :) ). I'd check ammonia but generally I find the older a tank, the more robust the bacterial population.

Still, could be worth seeing if you get other replies.

Sounds good, considering everything seems alright for now. I'll give it a week. If not I'm gonna start treating the tank. Thanks!

I've noticed fish perk up with extra water changes so you could try that in the week (pain I know). There was a study done where bacterial infections were tied into organic load in the tank.

I know your tank water is good though. With the high tank temps encouraging bacterial growth (if it is a bacterial infection), a few extra water changes may just help.

Best of luck and would be keen to know how it pans out.

I've noticed fish perk up with extra water changes so you could try that in the week (pain I know). There was a study done where bacterial infections were tied into organic load in the tank.

I know your tank water is good though. With the high tank temps encouraging bacterial growth (if it is a bacterial infection), a few extra water changes may just help.

Best of luck and would be keen to know how it pans out.

Great appreciate your help!! :)
I guess I'll have to do a few water changes!

Back
Top Bottom