Help choesing a cichild. .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know anything about cichlids so please be passing with me.

Is there a cichlid that will:
Enjoy a current
Will get along with other fish (weather loach, danios.)
Can live in a pair
Can live in a 189L

I'll add more info if needed.

There are quite a few peaceful pairs that would work such as Mesonauta Festiva, Laetacara thayeri, or Laetacara dorsigera would all work very well. I have others but would need a little more information on what you like.

Last edited:
I like the look of the Laetacara dorsigera would that do well with a current? And can I keep just 2 together?

I'm not sure really I don't want them to be huge but I don't want them to be tiny just as long as they can live with the current, the tank mates etc then that all I would be looking for, I don't want to get a cichlid and discover it dislikes currents and is aggressive.

If your cranking up the flow due the loaches then I would stick with the larger bodied fish and add in Aequidens pulcher or Laetacara dorsigera but the others would still work well just provide some slack water areas with driftwood and rocks to break the current to allow some rest.

There is a strong current at the back of the tank (1200 H/L) and the same goes for the front of the tank but I have made a wall of slate that the fish can hide in and theat stretches the length of the tank and I know that the current is very very weak there

Banana mouse said:
There is a strong current at the back of the tank (1200 H/L) and the same goes for the front of the tank but I have made a wall of slate that the fish can hide in and theat stretches the length of the tank and I know that the current is very very weak there

The Aequidens pulcher looks nice would they have a better time dealing with the current then the others?

Lol my thayeri is a total jerk! But maybe that's just mine lol he got bullied at the store and now he's the biggest fish in my tank, so that may be it

Borderlesscott said:
What temperature are you running the tank?

Well at the moment the tank is at 30c (86f) but tomorrow I'm turning it down to 25c (77f) so both the weather loach and the Aequidens pulcher can live in there. At the moment theres nothing in there the tank is being cycled.

Worried for a second there about the temp, I keep a weather loach in my South American tank with dwarf cichlids, the only trouble is when my apistogramma panduro are spawning they give him a bit of a bite now and then on his tail even though he is at least 3 times the size of the female panduro. All the other fish stay clear, but the weather loach is a crazy bloody fish and charges in and then usually charges out with an apistogramma chasing him, just dose not learn. My German Rams love hanging out with him for some reason.

Borderlesscott said:
Worried for a second there about the temp, I keep a weather loach in my South American tank with dwarf cichlids, the only trouble is when my apistogramma panduro are spawning they give him a bit of a bite now and then on his tail even though he is at least 3 times the size of the female panduro. All the other fish stay clear, but the weather loach is a crazy bloody fish and charges in and then usually charges out with an apistogramma chasing him, just dose not learn. My German Rams love hanging out with him for some reason.

Ha ha ha I'll add a few tubes for the loach to hide in just incise he needs it, may I ask how hot if your tank? 25c was more of a guess of how hot I should have the tank :)

Back
Top Bottom