Help cleanining sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike jones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Be got a big 90 gallon south American cichlid tanks that is constantly dirty is there anything that I can get that will eat it or help with it?

Can you explain a little more. Are you saying the sand is very dirty? Any waste should only be sitting on top of the sand. If that's your issue a powerhead is your best option to increase water flow and eliminate any dead spots. What kind of filter do you have on there, perhaps you need to I crease that. How often are you doing water changes and how much. If you mean the actual sand is getting dirty try some Malaysian trumpet snails.

It's just like I have a bunch of waste sitting on top of the sand I mean I'll clean it and in 2-3 it's got another huge amount of waste on the floor bottom and I have a fluval fx5

There is no fish that will actually consume other fish's waste. Get a power head to blow the detrius to the filter intake or another location for removal.

Last edited:
I agree with the others. You need better water movement and a Powerhead should work fine. I'm a huge fan of the koralia Powerhead product and I don't have this problem with it running.

Ive had really good luck with the aqueon ph's are they are a bit cheaper than other ph's.

My tanks six foot long so I think the current from the power head would die off before it took it to one side

My tanks six foot long so I think the current from the power head would die off before it took it to one side

That's not true. You just need an appropriately sized Powerhead. It's not one size fits all.

I have a 6 foot tank with double your water volume and it works very well.

After your power heads current takes it does your filter take it in or do you just go in and scoop it out every once and awhile

Mike hawk said:
After your power heads current takes it does your filter take it in or do you just go in and scoop it out every once and awhile

Some of it goes in the filter and some of it just gets blown around and it breaks up. I never scoop it out and you can rarely see any waste on my sand. It's a good solution.

5x5 said:
Some of it goes in the filter and some of it just gets blown around and it breaks up. I never scoop it out and you can rarely see any waste on my sand. It's a good solution.

Alright that sounds good what type of power head is it again?

It all depends on budget. Koralia is one of the best out there, I use aquatraders.com and aquaclear. they are both ugly as sin but it doesn't bother me.

I've read that if the fish are producing lots of waste it means the food your feeding isn't adequate. I know that my fish produce very little waste. In fact, I've never seen any of my 11 frontosa poo....and I've had them for a year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom