Help! German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No they just said it was good to go. I'll probably take a sample back today and have them tell me the specifics

Don't waste your time, they can't tell you a thing. Those strips are useless. Put your finger in the sample and try to read the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with your finger tip, it will be just as accurate.

I would return them, your tank is not cycled. What did you use to cycle it? Pure surfactant free ammonia? If not, in 4 weeks it's not cycled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't waste your time, they can't tell you a thing. Those strips are useless. Put your finger in the sample and try to read the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with your finger tip, it will be just as accurate.

I would return them, your tank is not cycled. What did you use to cycle it? Pure surfactant free ammonia? If not, in 4 weeks it's not cycled.

They use a liquid test kit. Not strips.

I've been taking it to my LFS. They use an actual kit but just test strips.

Oh this threw me off, guess you meant not instead of but.

There's also a lot of room for error by the person testing, I do not trust fish stores to be very competent at this.

Oh this threw me off, guess you meant not instead of but.

There's also a lot of room for error by the person testing, I do not trust fish stores to be very competent at this.

Yeah that was a typo. And I believe it. I've got my own kit ordered but I think I will take them back anyways. I'd hate to have them die on me. Maybe In the future I'll try them again.

I would follow whatever advice coralbandit gives, the forum's ram expert.

You will learn a lot your first year, then when you have experience you can get rams. I had aquarium's (before the internet) then got back into the hobby a year/year & 1/2 ago starting with easy/hardy fish, you will appreciate having easier to care for fish.

Thank you for being receptive. We really do want what's best for you and your fish.
I had to call and debate with the store for them to let me return them. Shocked me that they said they don't usually accept returns.

GBRs are probably best off being introduced to biologically mature tanks. They are also very nitrate sensitive, and demanding of impeccable water quality. I kept a couple for a little more than a year, before they died. Making harder water soft is quite a bit of work. My NYC tap water is no good for keeping GBRs. The Bolivian Rams do far better and are way more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom