Help Getting My Tank Balanced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I'm not new to the hobby, but have always had an aggression problem. I've had Africans for about 3-4 years now, but my stocking has never been quite right. I'm finally graduating highschool and will be going away for college in the Fall and I want to get my tank in ordere so my mom can take care of it with ease.

It is a 55g with:
3x Nimbochromis Venustus [2.5-2.75 in.]
1x Yellow Lab [3-3.5 in.] (the sole survivor of a breeding pair I had years ago)
3x Melanochromis Exasperatus[1.75-2.75 in.](2 confirmed males)
4x Kenyi [1.5-2.75 in.] (2 conformed males)
1x Acei [4 in.]

Cascade 1000 canister filter

The most dominant fish is one of the exasperatus males and he had been picking at other fish so much that I had to set him up in his own 36g. There is about 90 pounds of reef base rock in the tank, so plenty of space for territories. My biggest problem is just aggression. Lately the dominant of the venustus has been picking at one of the others and has forced it to retreat to behing the spray bar.

Any help or suggestiong are VERY welcomed :D

The constant adjusting required to achieve semi peaceful harmony in an African Cichlid tank is likely to be a nearly impossible task for your mom, unless she is also into the hobby.
Since you want to keep your setups up and running in your absence, probably a good idea to rehome or trade in all the troublemakers. Keep the Yellow Lab, Acei, maybe one of the Venustus. If you want a bit more stock, add a couple more Acei and a few Red Fin Borleyi, they are all relatively peaceful.
Might want to add a cleanup crew, like Synodontis catfish or even a few Botia Modesta Loaches, they do fine in my own hard water tanks.

What about the Kenyi? I've heard they can get real nasty as they mature and reproduce.

The choice is up to you. Most Mbuna can be pretty nasty. The Acei and yellow Lab, won't give your mom a hard time. You know your stock, and what you need to take out in order for your mom to keep your setups up and running without too many problems.

Over stocking and get rid of the females. I have been in the hobby for 30 plus years and have always had African Mbuna’s. My theory is there are only a couple things to cause aggression, territory and females. Removing the females solves one issue now let’s talk about aggression, everyone wants to make their tanks rock heavy, lots of caves to hide in. I have found less rocks and caves, no territory to fight over, problem 2 solved, good luck !

Sorry for the super late reply..I posted this on another forum too and forgot all about this post.

I got rid of a kenyi, venustus and exasperatus.
I got 3 acei, 2 small yellow labs, and a strawberry peacock (for $5!!). The Acei, as far as I believe, have Columnaris, which I’ve been treating with melafix and are looking better. The larger of the labs (about 1.5 inches) got bullied to death in the main tank, so out of precaution I moved the other one [and the peacock] to the 36g with all the newbies. The peacock has ich, but seems to be doing pretty decent.
I’m going to take the remaining two exasperatus to the lfs since they’re causing the main aggression problems in the tank. Probably later this week when I get paid I’ll go try to find some decent sized labs that aren’t too pricey as well as some plants.

Let me know what you guys think about how that sounds.

Back
Top Bottom