Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help guys!!

Ok I'm new to this hobby and love it! I try my hardest to maintain my tank an keep up on all that is needed to make me and my fish happy. I tested the water on Monday and it was fine no issues. I tested it this morning and Nitrite levels were off the chart!! I re tested just to be sure and yup! Off the chart! It's a dark dark purple.

Can I treat it with Prime or API stress zyme +?

I did a water change last night and again today while rearranging my tank. I don't wanna do too many I'm worried about stressing my fish and me!!

Advice please? I'm so use to dealing with tough situation being a fire chief but this fish hobby has be beat! lol!! If the guys down the firehouse only knew that my newly found fish hobby is stressing me out more then a 2nd alarm fire!!

Have a good day and thanks in advance.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes absolutely use some prime and do a few big water changes back to back.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Waterchanges are good, but you say you did a waterchange last night, before doing this test?

If so, you MIGHT want to test the water straight out of your tap, and then after adding prime before adding to the tank. See if it spikes on you again. From my understanding (Someone else told me this, so it's not something I've experimented with) Prime can skew the readings. If you'd JUST done a waterchange two days AFTER a good test, and then it spikes, I'd just check to cover my bases.

That being said, if the water out of the tap comes up clean, PWC is your friend!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I did a water change last night and again this morning when I rearranged my tank. So... I treated with prime so do I do another water change now or wait a little while? I can do another one tonight, then do I treat it again with everything like prime, stress coat,water conditioner, neutralizer? Or maybe give the fish a break today and do it tomorrow?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can do another one if your levels are still high. I would just use prime and that's it.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so just add prime after another water change later? Am I getting that right? Don't add anything other then prime? I'll do a water change when I get home then treat with prime.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep. What I do with my discus is after I take water out of the tank I dose the prime in the tank. I also put a few drops in each bucket before I pour it in the tank .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for your help. I have work to do when I get home.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com