Help!!! High Nitrites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DillonMcCain

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am new to the forum and I have a few questions. I currently have 3 setup tanks. A 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, and a 40 gallon. I got the water tested in my 10 gallon. I found out that my nitrites were around 3 ppm. I have a yellow lab (2 in), a small frontosa (2 in), and a small lab which I have no idea what kind. About a week ago I switched from gravel to sand (PFS). I wondered if my tank may be experiencing a mini cycle, and how to lower the nitrites.

The only way to lower the nitrites is with large water changes. I would do 50% immediately, wait no more than 2 hours, then do another 50%. Those levels are lethal to fish, so the faster you can act on the water change, the better. Make sure you temperature match and condition the water before adding back in slowly. Good luck. :)

Testing water now. Results to follow. Here is a pic of the tank before and after

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391462142.540845.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391462142.540845.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391462194.875556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391462194.875556.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 106
Still really, really high. I would recommend another large water change. Do you have any Prime water conditioner? This will only work to 1 ppm, but at least will help provide some protection for your fish.
Prime can also be dosed up to 5 times the regular amount in an emergency, so if you can't lower your levels to a safe range with water changes, you can do that. It's a last ditch resort, because the toxins aren't actually being removed, just bound in an inert fashion for up to 48 hours, so water changes are much better, but in a suddenly cycling tank, Prime can be a lifeline for struggling fish.

I didn't know anything about your kind of fish, but I was curious, so I input your stocking levels into aqadvisor.com. Turns out you're 194% stocked. (The site also threw up all kinds of warnings about how you need to have so many yellow labs, etc., etc., in a group. I can copy and paste them here, if that would be helpful.) Is there a chance you can upgrade to a larger tank size? I suspect that is the reason for the high nitrites.

Here's the aqadvisor.com info:

Warning: Frontosa is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Frontosa are recommended in a group.
Warning: Yellow Lab may become food for Frontosa.
Warning: Frontosa is not recommended to be with Yellow Lab - lake Tanganyika species should not be mixed with other groups.
Warning: Yellow Lab is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 4.5 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Yellow Lab are recommended in a group.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 5 Yellow Lab, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:4 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Warning: Yellow Lab is not recommended to be with Frontosa - mbuna species should not be mixed with other groups.
Note: You have selected mbuna species. These species in general, need to be overstocked to control aggression (over 100% stocking level). Make sure your filtration is sufficient and keep up with water changes
Recommended water change schedule: 80% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 55% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 194%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended

The filter was cycled but I made the mistake of changing all substrate, filter media, and water at the same time. I will have to recycle my tank

20-30% water changes every other day and make sure you add new bacteria and a bit more, and to help keep fish till levels are right try use prime good stuff, but agree tanks not big enough for those fish

Can you seed your filter with your other tanks to jump start the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom