Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Help!!! I'm new to fish tanks and cichlids.

Hi, everyone! I'm in need of a little bit of help. My wonderful neighbor had to move and couldn't take her fish tank with her and has giving it to me and my family. The only fish that we've ever owned were bettas. We know nothing when it comes to fish tanks.

The tank is a 50gal. It has two water filters. One on top of the tank and one under the tank. There are two parrot fish, one large one and one small one. Also there are two other fish in the tank, I think they are oscar fish. One is fairly large and the other is about 2" small.

My kids want to add more fish to the tank. Is that even possible? I've read that these are aggressive fish and I am afraid if I add more that they will kill the new fish. I have ordered more rocks for the tank and fish. The tank just seems bare and boring. We would like to liven things up a bit.

Please help this first timer.
Thanks
Sabrina





__________________

__________________
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mikem691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,673
Looks like jack Dempseys

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
mikem691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Help!!! I'm new to fish tanks and cichlids.

You have a canister filter on bottom and what looks like an HOB(Hang on back) filter on top.

Agree with Mike it's definitely dempseys and then the parrot fish. You are pretty stocked as it. Jack Dempsey get 10 inches long and (correct me) blood parrots get pretty close to that as well.

This tank is obviously established but did you get a test kit with it? These test pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It's important you have a kit to test your tank with.


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
You have a canister filter on bottom and what looks like an HOB(Hang on back) filter on top.

Agree with Mike it's definitely dempseys and then the parrot fish. You are pretty stocked as it. Jack Dempsey get 10 inches long and (correct me) blood parrots get pretty close to that as well.

This tank is obviously established but did you get a test kit with it? These test pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It's important you have a kit to test your tank with.


Caleb
Yes there is a test kit (an ammonia kit) and other various bottles under the cabinet. I'm sad now that we can't add any more fish. These fish pretty much hide all day, well with the exception of that large orange fish. LOL Anything else I should know about these fish?
__________________
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Help!!! I'm new to fish tanks and cichlids.

You can see if an LFS will take them, then get the fish you want in it within reason. Plenty of fish can go in a tank that size.

Edit: what's the names of the bottles?


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
You can see if an LFS will take them, then get the fish you want in it within reason. Plenty of fish can go in a tank that size.

Edit: what's the names of the bottles?


Caleb
Great idea! I'll need to find a LFS and see if they will take them. I'm only aware of petco/petsmart and walmart that have fish but since we've never had a tank we weren't looking for one.

These are the bottles
Aquasafe- dechlorinates and conditions
Fluval -water conditioner
Fluval- biological cleaner
Topfin -Bacteria supplement
Marineland -algae eliminator
APi nh3/nh4 test kit. (just did this test and it was yellow so 0ppm).

Thanks
Sabrina
__________________
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Great idea! I'll need to find a LFS and see if they will take them. I'm only aware of petco/petsmart and walmart that have fish but since we've never had a tank we weren't looking for one.

These are the bottles
Aquasafe- dechlorinates and conditions
Fluval -water conditioner
Fluval- biological cleaner
Topfin -Bacteria supplement
Marineland -algae eliminator
APi nh3/nh4 test kit. (just did this test and it was yellow so 0ppm).

Thanks
Sabrina

It's good to have a locally owned store and they often go unnoticed of you are not looking.

0ppm ammonia is great that's where it needs to stay.

The only bottle you really need out of that the water conditioner.


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
It's good to have a locally owned store and they often go unnoticed of you are not looking.

0ppm ammonia is great that's where it needs to stay.

The only bottle you really need out of that the water conditioner.


Caleb
awesome! I've got lots of reading and learning to do. Thanks for the help!
__________________
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
The smallest one is a jewel cichlid and definitely needs to be moved, judging by how shredded his fins are


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mikem691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
The smallest one is a jewel cichlid and definitely needs to be moved, judging by how shredded his fins are


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That's what I thought but hard to tell on my phone.
__________________

__________________
mikem691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, fish, ich, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tanks that have cichlids breeding and tips please Zakwhite Cichlid Discussion 12 02-09-2012 08:12 AM
cichlids, and cichlids trouble MisticX Cichlid Discussion 4 02-12-2009 08:06 AM
cichlids cichlids cichlids!! but what are they? mr funktastic Cichlid Discussion 57 01-31-2006 07:07 PM
My cichlids, only if you like cichlids! and sharks! Vip Show Off/Photography 11 07-02-2005 05:27 PM
can albino convict cichlids and normal convict cichlids mate cichlid555 Cichlid Discussion 3 04-03-2005 10:42 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.