Help in advice and experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You won't have any issues with the size of the substrate. My only concern was the cost. I run all my mbuna tanks with regular aquarium gravel and have for 20+ years without issues. If you look at pictures of the lake substrate where these fish originate from, it is every size for sand to gigantic boulders. I guarantee you the fish don't have a preference. People may, but the fish don't. In 20+ years I've never yet had a single fish of the hundreds I've kept, bred, and raised from fry tell me that they prefer sand over gravel ;).

Price I agree but was lead to believe this was the best made impulse buy and obviously not smart decision but I will live with it until I can get sand. Bags were 20 lb for 31.99 store had sale and we paid 22 per bag got total of 4

Sounds like a great excuse to go with a planted tank. ;)

Common pool filter sand works great and is about $8 a 50lb bag so with 2 bags your cost won't increase much at least. If you do decide to swap of do before you add rocks and fish. Here are my tanks with pool filter sand. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393034625.546668.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393034641.994739.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393034650.276162.jpg

If I choose the planted path what type of cichlids would be good for environment

In a 90 you could look at quite a few species. Keyholes or Black Belts with a group of dwarfs would jump into my mind immediately. But there are many other combos that would work.

Can someone tell me what to look for and or do with vinegar test on stones I'm going to be going out looking for some today I've been reading about it what is personal experience with this

Back
Top Bottom