Help Me! Bought Tank with Fish Included.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steg22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 40g tank at the weekend but it came with fish!

All the fish I have at the minute are a bit less than 2 inches long as far as I'm aware they are as follows:

2x white convict cichlids
2x kribesis cichlids
3x handuran red point cichlids
2x thomasi cichlids
2x blue acara
and 2x nannacara amole

there is also 3 corydoras and 3 zebra dainos.

What I want to know is how big do they get and which ones I can keep?

I know I will have to get rid of a few but I have a couple of buyers who want some anyway :)

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

I would keep the cons and anomala's or the red points and anomala's or the kribs and thomasi or finally the acara's and the nannacara anomala's then I would rehome the rest, a 40g does not offer allot of real estate to provide enough territories for that many fish. Your bound to have aggression issues followed by decreasing water quality. The corys would be find with any of the choices above but would recommend adding 3-5 more to fill out their school, this will ease some nervousness with some later more aggressive fish. The danios will be snacks once the fish are large enough to eat them.

and also what else could I have with a pair of one type of cichlid and corys? mainly in the way of clean up crew

thanks!!

what about the red points and white cons?

The cons and red points are the same genus and will hybridize, plus if the cons spawn they are 10x more agressive than red points which means punishment for the other tank mates. I breed HRP's and they have much better color and are dramatically less aggresive than their cousins. I would not mix them due to aggression but you could certainly have 2 pairs of red points, just make sure each has a place to spawn on each side of the tank.

and also what else could I have with a pair of one type of cichlid and corys? mainly in the way of clean up crew

thanks!!

Depending on which pair of cichlids you get keep a school of smaller fish for movement, I would recommend Buenes Aires or Columbian tetras stocked around 9-12. Other than that a bristlenose plec would do nicely.

I think I'm just going to keep the pair of honduran reds. How big will they get? what is the best thing to feed them on? These internet sites give such varied answers

I think I'm just going to keep the pair of honduran reds. How big will they get? what is the best thing to feed them on? These internet sites give such varied answers

I feed every fish New Life Spectrum Thera A+ exclusively, I would start with 1mm then when they are larger switch 2mm. The key is just keep them on a quality staple of pellets with the occasional treat if you like. the next two brands I would recommned would be Omega One or Dainchi.

HUKIT said:
I feed every fish New Life Spectrum Thera A+ exclusively, I would start with 1mm then when they are larger switch 2mm. The key is just keep them on a quality staple of pellets with the occasional treat if you like. the next two brands I would recommned would be Omega One or Dainchi.

+1 to NLS

I have got rid of some, still have the nannacara anomala, 2x honduran red points, 2x white convict and 2x blue acara. the blue acara and white convicts are no bigger than an inch

I've decided what I'm doing now guys, thanks for all your help. I'm getting rid of all the cichlids except the nannacaras and hondurans, I've also purchased a lovely little school of columbian tetras for the tank and a few elegant corys. The hondurans are quite happy with them in the tank at the minute and hopefully it stays that way! Do hondurans end up with teeth? Also at what age can you tell if they're male or female? Cheers guys

Back
Top Bottom