Help me convince her!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys honestly I don't know their reasons but the fish are def dropping in number. I just wanted to prove that they are making a big mistake, so thank you!

Honestly, its hard to prove anything with no specifics. I understand your position, but its hard for us to give many solid facts with nothing to go on.
So, in general, most cichlids get too big for that. There are very few varieties that you could put a single member of into that tank, nevermind putting 12 in. Too small tanks stunt growth and can often lead to premature death. You should research any species you are thinking of getting to see if you have the right tank for it, especially if all you have is one tank. Many of the commonly sold cichlids get pretty big and nasty.
Best advice I have in this situation: research.

It's the family tank, and is obsessively looked after! No previous disease and the water is always crystal clear. It has been running with tropical for 3 months I think, but they want to upgrade to something more colorful and cichlids is what they wan in particular. I don't know about you but I always know the amount of fish I want when I go and buy, and they just want 12. They won't admit to murdering them, but it is clear to see as they have turned the filter down and feed only once a day now, and keep talking about cichlids xx
I'm not sure what you mean by "turn the filter down", but if it's simply that they have adjusted it to a lower flow, I wouldn't worry, this actually makes the filter more effecient in most cases. Feeding once a day is best, so if that's what they are doing, I wouldn't worry about starvation, by any means. Fish could be dropping from be poisoned by toxins if the water isn't being changed frequently enough. They could also be dying from disease.

IMO the tank isn't large enough for even a single dwarf cichlid (depending on it's dimensions anyway). Make sure they realize some of those cichlids at the shop are going to get half as long as their tank is, so surely it can't house 1, let alone 12. But don't expect to be able to get through to them. Hopefully you can, but some folks are just ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom