Help me ID my fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmw9787

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. I just bought a new aquarium from craigslist and the guy gave me all his fish too! I've never owned cichlids before so I have no clue what these guys are. Any help identifying them would be appreciated.

Also, I just set this up last night so I'm aware that it needs a background and that the water is dirty. When I turned on the filter it shot all kinds of crap into the tank. But, I put the fish through enough hell moving them last night and didn't want to stress them more by vacuuming the gravel and n such right away.

Attachments

• 20140416_080049.jpg
    20140416_080049.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20140416_080103.jpg
    20140416_080103.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20140416_080056.jpg
    20140416_080056.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 143
  • 20140416_080052.jpg
    20140416_080052.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 148
One more picture, sorry it's not a very good one

Attachments

• 20140416_080106.jpg
    20140416_080106.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 145
Congrats on the new addition, those are some nice looking fish. I would recommend testing your water at the very least since it is clear the filter was dirty.

Bumblebee and maingano cichlid in the first pic, red zebra in the second, ruby red or German red peacock in the third, convict cichlid in the fourth and cobalt blue zebra in the fifth pic

Now another question. This is a 75 gallon tank. Would anyone consider the tank to be over or under stocked? FYI, there are also two common plecos in there, both about 8 inches.

AND, how rare/valuable are these fish? I've seen some of them quite frequently in fish stores before, but others not so much.

These are all very common varieties. You could add a few more african cichlids to the mix if you like. 75 gallons could handle more than 6 cichlids. The Plecos are going to get quite large and will need 125 gallons as previously stated.

Ya I'm not a big fan of common plecos anyways. Any good recommendations on other bottom feeders I could replace them with?

Try looking up a synodontis catfish. They're really awesome looking fish and stand up against the Africans.

I personally would trade in all fish to the local store and determine which way u wanna go. Malawi mbuna or peacock is the direction I'd go. Starting with a couple batches of mbuna is the way I'd go. Adding mbuna to a tank with long established ones is asking for trouble IMO. I'd pick the 3 types I like most and get 7 of each. Adding each batch a couple days from the other. Also add another filter as they need over filtration. I can get more detailed if you'd like. Let me know and ask away!

I personally would trade in all fish to the local store and determine which way u wanna go. Malawi mbuna or peacock is the direction I'd go. Starting with a couple batches of mbuna is the way I'd go. Adding mbuna to a tank with long established ones is asking for trouble IMO. I'd pick the 3 types I like most and get 7 of each. Adding each batch a couple days from the other. Also add another filter as they need over filtration. I can get more detailed if you'd like. Let me know and ask away!

I actually started a new thread asking what I should stock the tank with. There's no way I'm getting rid of that beautiful peacock. It seems pretty docile anyways. But ya, look through this post a bit.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/need-some-help-stocking-my-tank-306823.html

Back
Top Bottom