Help me stock my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha your call if u want variety i would suggest a planted community tank... Live plants add so many natural ingredients and natural oxidize the tank too so it help your fish survive and thrive... If you go that route id suggest any type of tetra, plecos, barbs, cory cats, maybe even a betta with a community tank, and you can do a catfsih like a synodontis an upside down catfish a bumblebee catfish... But eventually once the catfish get too big youll have to move them... I have a bichir in my planted community tank

That's what I really didn't want to do I'm def going cichlids no questions ask I just don't know what ones I want in my tank

Your call! Have fun with it but make sure you definately so your research so u dont end up buying fish and spending money that will just go to waist when your fiah kill eachother

No Shovelnose catfish at all in a 55 gallon they get big way to big for a 55. You could do a stock similar to my 55. It's slightly overstocked but I make it work. I have

1- Jack Dempsey
3- Pictus Catfsih
1- Red Tailed Shark.

Or if you want tiger barbs look into a smaller Cichlid. You could do a pair of Firemouth cichlids and a stock like this

2- Firemouth Cichlids
1- Bristlenose Pleco
12- Tiger Barbs

Don't go to the Darkside of African Cichlids;). Here's a list of potential cichlids you could keep in a 55 with 2-4 tankmates such as Pictus catfish, tiger barbs or red tailed/Rainbow Sharks

Blue Acara
Firemouths
Convict Cichlids
Green Terrors
Jack Dempsey

Are the top 5 I would look into.

Look around the website liveaquaria.com and see what you like! After you find some options that catch your eye see if they work with your tank on Aqadvisor.com.
Hope this helps!

I would only get 1 Cichlid. The only one I would get 2 of is the Firemouth you could pull off a pair with tankmates. Of you wanted any other Cichlid from that list I would just get 1 if you want tankmates or you could possibly breed any of these in a 55 successfully depending on what type of tank your looking for. A good stock for you like I posted in your other thread would be

2- Firemouths
10- Tiger Barbs
1- Bristlenose Pleco

Like everyone else said before do a research and what kinda fish you want and the compatibility but one thing I can definitely tell you that cichlid are so fun to watch I have two tank my self tropical community and Malawi cichlids

Nice man I was just looking I think I'm going

12 barbs
Green terror
Blue acura
Brittle nose pleco
A convict
And maybe a blood parrot

What kind of barbs? And did you type that in on Aqadvisor?

Tiger barbs and ya it's a little over stocked by like 20 % but not to bad

Tiger barb are very nippy so you should be careful with those id suggest cherry barbs or glass barbs

Tiger barb are very nippy so you should be careful with those id suggest cherry barbs or glass barbs

I do not think they would be nippy with the much larger aggressive fish. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty positive.

Cichlids definitely :) but thats a preference. If I didnt have a million guppies I would have a full blown cichlid tank.

Back
Top Bottom