Help My Angelfish Laid Eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I need some help. My angelfish laid eggs today on the back of a piece of wood decor for the first time. What should I do? I would like to quarantine them... should I remove the decor or remove the other fish? How long do you think before they hatch? and does anyone know anything about caring for hatchlings? I'd appreciate some input... TIA

It's difficult to give you a meaningful answer without knowing what else is in your tank.

If you really want to breed and raise angelfish, it's best done in a seperate aquarium. I used 20g with only a piece of slate in the tank. I remove the pair once they've spawned and hatched the fry artificially. Eggs hatch in about 48 hours.

Angels can take quite good care of their fry, and with a little practice they can have quite a good success rate. They do need to be alone in a ~20 gal tank, as Brian says. Whether you remove them and hatch artificailly, or let nature take its course is probably a matter of doing more work vs. lower fry survival rate.

I left the parents in, and generally got a few fry survive to adulthood from each spawning. That was OK for me. I found watching the angels tend the eggs and fry to be fantastic to watch, although watching the attrition rate was a bit depressing.

Brian, what did you do to hatch the fry?

Very simple poikilotherm. I added a few drops of an anti fungal (I like formalin because it's colorless as opposed to methyl blue), and placed a very gentle stream of air for water circulation near the eggs. Any eggs that fungused were removed with a tweezer.

Back
Top Bottom