Help my flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dry shrimp could be too high in protein. I've been feeding omega one flakes without issue, as suggested I would recommend hikari cichlid gold as well.

Side note at first I thought the head up dry shrimp statement was like some sort of Chinese wisdom. You know like head up dry shrimp, things will get better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Epsom salt 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. It is mainly to help with tissue swelling and letting it go back inside on its own. It's strange yours is listed at 99%, it should be 100%. What are the ingredients on the package?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I have a feeling your tank isn't truly cycled which will be awful.

Chill out on all the medicines and treatments, decrease the heat slowly and do a series of water changes before adding the epsom salt. Flowerhorns are already genetically weak to begin with, bombarding them with a million medications and stress factors such as high heat, ammonia, nitrite, etc is going to make the situation far worse.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Don't u offer me using another medicine, after epsom salt?
Isn't necessary another medicine?
I used metronidazole and, now, after 4 days, i haven't seen any improvement yet.

I added epsom salt yesterday, but it seems it has no effect on his intestine.
Please help.
Today i psiphoned about 30% and add 2-3 teaspoon epsom salt and 3 metronidazole pills again. Each one is 250 milligram.
There is no any dung in aquarium.
I guess there is another type of roundworm.

Answer these questions in order with the number beside them

1- what is the current temp and are you decreasing it.

2-have you gotten a different food to try feeding? I would also skip a day between feedings until this is fixed.

3- can you test your water? If so let us know ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels.

I would dose Epsom salt at the levels Nigel suggests, I'm not great with medicating but it seems this is a problem with something your doing. Meaning u need to learn why its happening and fix that cause instead of throwing multiple medications at it. Patience is key here. Has the situation gotten any better or worse?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, answer TMRC's questions. I would skip feeding for a few days though, if there is any blockage creating it hopefully it'll be able to pass. If you do feed him then soak the food in epsom salt water to let it soak up some and get it in his system. This will act as a laxative and will help reduce swelling in the tissues.
tak
Also, sometimes these can not be fixed. If caught early and the appropriate measures are taken then they can often fix themselves, other times though it never fixes itself and other than taking your fish to the veterinary office to get surgery there isn't much you can do.

Has anyone recommended peas yet? They seem to be good on fishes internals... They're usually used in constipated fish; it may help him no?

Has anyone recommended peas yet? They seem to be good on fishes internals... They're usually used in constipated fish; it may help him no?

Peas are good for a laxative effect but will be rougher on the fish than epsom salt will. Also, the fish may not feel like eating. Epsom salts are best in this situation due to the laxative and swelling effects. Really fasting would be better than trying to feed the fish anything.

I am sorry but in my country, everyone on internet suggests me to keep temperature on 32 degree and i did it.
I did not feed this fish since Friday, just a little soaked in metronidazole.
Ammonia tests are very expensive in my country, i can not do that. But i say u that ammonia and nitrite level are very low because of regular dayly psiphoning, and not feeding fish. I come out every decor of aquarium so i can psiphon very well.
I use 250 milligram metronidazole pills for each 40 liter every 2 days, since Saturday.
I use 2 teaspoon epsom salt for each 40 liter too, since Tuesday.
I use some aquarium salt too every time i change water.
My fish can eat even food soaking in metronidazole water. But i didn't feed him often, perhaps one sead for every 2-3 days.

Hello again
I haven't seen any white gung for a while, and i think he has become better.
But the intestine is still out. I afraid it will not cure. I have used epsom salt since Tuesday.
Please help!

Answer the question about tank size first, then read this thread about treating this situation on this specialty flower horn board. Salt and lots water changes is the answer though..

A quote from the thread:
Group:
Members
#14,228
sounds like hex by the symptoms you describe. I've never had to deal with this except for what may have been a mild case of hex, just white stringy feces, but it seemed to resolve it's self on it's own with only water changes and salt.

Here is the link
http://flowerhornrusforum.com/topic/8797566/1/

Important.....
I saw a new created hole on his intestine. I guess that last one centimeter of intestine has blocked and the gung/poop has created this hole to coming out. I guess the last one centimeter part will be cut soon itself. Because of gangrene.
Now i ask which medicine is needed to prevent infection?
My tank is 100 liter.

There's probably the answer right there. 90 litres=23.75gallons. Too small for a flower horn.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hmm.. 80-90 liter is too small, bad water quality from too small of a tank can cause even more problems.

I honestly think the best bet is to continue dosing the salt and keep changing lots of water. Can you post a new picture of his current state

I would also advise you create an account on the website I linked for you, flowerhornrusforum. This fish is a hybrid species not found in the wild and a lot of members here just don't really keep them. I would post a thread there detailing your situation, maybe post a link there to our discussion here so they can see what's been done. I feel like you will find people who have dealt with this situation in this species more there.

But again, you have got to get a bigger tank, these guys get huge, you will need something minimum 55 gallons to ideally 75+. Glad to help in any way I can, wish I could be more helpful.

uploadfromtaptalk1428165281614.jpg
In top of his intestine, there is created a hole because of pressure of gung/poop.
Please help.

Back
Top Bottom