Help! My tank smells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not yet, but when you cleaned the filter, did you use tap water or conditioned water?
It's okay to rinse the filter itself out with tap, but all the pads should be rinsed in old tank water so that the good bacteria isn't killed off. I had to learn that the hard way when I first started, it sucked, went through 2 weeks worth of a mini cycle.

Picked up the prime bottle and added the small dose. And I aslso returned the elctric blue that was getting roughed up by another electric blue in my tank

Picked up the prime bottle and added the small dose. And I aslso returned the elctric blue that was getting roughed up by another electric blue in my tank

Awesome
Make sure you don't overdose the Prime

It's very concentrated

Let me know how it's going

M

Do this:

Add Prime to the bucket of new water you just filled. Remember to use only the dosage of Prime for the volume of water in the bucket. Then leave either overnight or for a few hours. Some tanks with non sensitive fish can have this water put in immediately without having it stand for awhile.

Remember that when you are cleaning your filter always rinse in the tank water you siphoned out ie when u remove the old water for a WC siphon into a bucket and rinse out filter and filter media eg sponges in that old water. Never ever rinse filter media in new tap water. The filter itself can be washed under clean water AFTER you have removed filter media.

So in other words:
Remove filter from tank
Remove filter media from filter
Rinse out filter ONLY under new water only if its dirty
Rinse out filter media in old water u siphoned
Put media back into filter
Put filter back in tank

Let me know how it goes

M

Nice. I heard discuss were hard to keep. Their water has to be prestine. Btw. I noticed im missing a Lab maybe that was the smell and my pleco ate him? I cant find him and he didnt come out for feedings

Most ppl feel that discus are difficult to keep but it's relatively pain free if you know what you are doing. Once you set up your tank properly and know how often to do WC's and how to keep the nitrates and ammonia levels down it will be all good. They are very very sensitive fish and lots can go wrong very quickly if you don't know what u r doing. Water must be perfect, u need to feed them properly, temps must be exact etc.
But when u get it right they reward you with hours of joy. My guys "greet" me when I walk into the room by coming to the front of the tank, eat from my hand and know its feeding time when I tap on the tank cover. They also develop personalities. It's just incredible.

They are truly the kings of the freshwater aquarium.

Ive reread everything and i have a few questions
1 what size tank
2 how many fish
3 what kind of fish
4 how many GPH of filtration
5 how much water are you changing
6 how often are you changing the water

Im pretty stocked my common pleco is growing at an alarming rate. Looking to upgrade to a 75

2 red zebras
2 yellow labs
2 benga small
1 yellow hybrid I had a ob hybrid die yesterday
1 red blood
1 small redish browninh hap
1 colbolt blue
1 blue w stripes mbuna
And one mut

Back
Top Bottom