Help needed !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donna541

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an ob peacock who has developed a serious attitude, he is attacking everything in my tank, my big blue fryeri is getting it the most ... I have moved him into my qt tank to see if it might chill him out a bit ?? Any advice or view on this ?? Thanks

Every african tank will have a dominant fish, you could re-arrange the tank decor which may help temporily or rehome the aggressor but keep in mind the next "king" may be worse. The other suggestion is to give the aggressor a "time out" by removing him for 24hrs and then reintroducing him again, sometimes this will help the next dominant fish step up and cool off the aggressor(this has worked many times).

Hi hukit I did re-arrange the tank and the cheeky ob started going for me !! He has been in the qt tank from Friday and is building mountains like mad and when u put ur finger up to the glass he opens his mouth wide and starts shaking lol I have lots of pots and hide e holes but the blue fryeri ain't interested in hiding !! He is a very pretty ob and I don't really want to give him up :-(

I agree with Hukit. ( he's one to take advice off of!!!) I first tried rearranging, then time out AND rearranging. About ready to rehome I tried throwing him in one of my other Malawi tanks and VOILA he's happy as a clam :) since then I haven't had any other aggressors, but I'm sure it will ineviditly happen again one day.

If he has been isolated since Friday I would try to reintroduce him and monitor his behavior to see if it continues and remember unfortunately sometimes aggressive fish need to be rehomed it's part of keeping these types of fish. I've had dominance switch when rehoming fish into another tank( I have loads of tanks so it's easy) but sometimes the smallest triggers work.

There's only one way to find out, but I'd be careful mixing fish like Cental Americans and africans plus those fry maybe toast as well.

I have a breeders net I might put him in it for a few days back inside the tank I removed him from .... Failing that I might see if my fish supplier will take him !! Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson ... Thanks for ur advice :)

I had an aggressive yellow lab and following everyones advice I rearranged the rocks and caves. Didn't quite do the trick with him. My next step was a "time out" for him. When I tried to net him he went right to the "new" cave area and has been a happy camper ever since.

I had an agressive (seemingly overnight) Peacock and after a couple of failed attempts to curb his agression, he went back to my mom and pop LFS. They were great about it, gave me in-store credit and I ended up with two Sunshine Peacocks. Try what HUKIT says for sure

So moved the ob back into the tank and within minutes he was back attacking the sciaenochromis fryeri :-( so I moved the fryeri out and into my yellow lab tank ... So far so good and his top fin is raised again :) the ob is lost now ... He seems to be happy and is in chilled out mode at the minute :)))) I wonder how long the peace will last ??

Back
Top Bottom