Help-- new cichlids tank water issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquacichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone ,

Im a new guy with a new tank here. I do need urgent advice on my 60 gallon tank with 13 adult size cichlids including an 10 inch Jack D.

Got the tank setup on march 14, with only 3 gallons of old water from my friend whos moving. And added the rest of the tank with tap water. I had no choice, but 13 fish has now swam in this dangerous water for 6 days.

SO, after all treatment for toxin, stress, alkalinity, and two whole bottles of live bacteria, my water reads: about 1ppm AMMO, 6 or 7ppm NITRITE( blowing out the test chart), 0 NITRATE. The water is obviously showing bac blooming now, white/greyish.

URGENT- should I do partial water changes immediately ? ( how much , how often and till when?) or should I just keep as it and let bacteria do its work. Im really battling this right now. changing water will swap out good bateria, but all fish is sitting in dangerous water every minute.

I need your advice on this water please!

hello everyone ,

Im a new guy with a new tank here. I do need urgent advice on my 60 gallon tank with 13 adult size cichlids including an 10 inch Jack D.

Got the tank setup on march 14, with only 3 gallons of old water from my friend whos moving. And added the rest of the tank with tap water. I had no choice, but 13 fish has now swam in this dangerous water for 6 days.

SO, after all treatment for toxin, stress, alkalinity, and two whole bottles of live bacteria, my water reads: about 1ppm AMMO, 6 or 7ppm NITRITE( blowing out the test chart), 0 NITRATE. The water is obviously showing bac blooming now, white/greyish.

URGENT- should I do partial water changes immediately ? ( how much , how often and till when?) or should I just keep as it and let bacteria do its work. Im really battling this right now. changing water will swap out good bateria, but all fish is sitting in dangerous water every minute.

I need your advice on this water please!

Your tank isn't cycled. Your doing a fish in cycle with a HUGE bio load. Do 50% to 75% water changes to get those levels down or the fish with stress and most likely die.

Are you treating your tap water with a conditioner?

You need to do water changes. Forget about the beneficial bacteria right now. Get the tank to a safe level IMO, the beneficial bacteria will come.

You will need a test kit to dictate how much and for the time being maybe do twice a day water changes.

Your tank isn't cycled. Your doing a fish in cycle with a HUGE bio load. Do 50% to 75% water changes to get those levels down or the fish with stress and most likely die.

Are you treating your tap water with a conditioner?

You need to do water changes. Forget about the beneficial bacteria right now. Get the tank to a safe level IMO, the beneficial bacteria will come.

yes, I treat tap water with amquel plus and stress coat.

will changing water slow down the cycling process? What specific WC schedule should I follow after 50% wc?

also, should add more bottled live bacteria after every WC?

yes, I treat tap water with amquel plus and stress coat.

will changing water slow down the cycling process? What specific WC schedule should I follow after 50% wc?

also, should add more bottled live bacteria after every WC?

Welcome to AA!

The bottle bacteria may and may not work depending on the brand your using. I personally thing's the stuff is a rip off and I'd say save your money but that's up to you.

Do 50-75% water change now after a few hours test again if it is still showing high levels do it again so on and so on. You should try to test with a good test kit like the Api liquid master test kit. Testing it several times a day and doing those water changes if needed. Don't clean or replace anything, that holds your bacteria that you need to finish the cycle.

Once you get threw the cycle process which may take a good while, it's hard to tell it's different for everyone. Staying on a good water change schedule like two 25% water changes a week should be good. You'll still need to test every few days or so. If levels change or nitrate starts getting out of hand you'll have to raise how much water your changing.

Changing the water isn't going to hurt a thing but cleaning will.

Welcome to AA!

The bottle bacteria may and may not work depending on the brand your using. I personally thing's the stuff is a rip off and I'd say save your money but that's up to you.

Do 50-75% water change now after a few hours test again if it is still showing high levels do it again so on and so on. You should try to test with a good test kit like the Api liquid master test kit. Testing it several times a day and doing those water changes if needed. Don't clean or replace anything, that holds your bacteria that you need to finish the cycle.

Once you get threw the cycle process which may take a good while, it's hard to tell it's different for everyone. Staying on a good water change schedule like two 25% water changes a week should be good. You'll still need to test every few days or so. If levels change or nitrate starts getting out of hand you'll have to raise how much water your changing.

Changing the water isn't going to hurt a thing but cleaning will.

Pretty much what I would have said... Thanks Andy ;)

thanks everyone for helping out! found treasure for my fish here.

I will do at least half water change asap today to bring nitrite down to readable levels on my api test kit.

I should keep dosing amquel, and stress coat during water changes, right? I ve also dosed alkanility buffer to keep the buffer strong for shocks, should I keep doing that too?

Also they have not eaten for 6 days, being pissed by water conditon I guess. whats the longest "fasting" period should i tolerate before thinking somethings seriously wrong?

thanks everyone for helping out! found treasure for my fish here.

I will do at least half water change asap today to bring nitrite down to readable levels on my api test kit.

I should keep dosing amquel, and stress coat during water changes, right? I ve also dosed alkanility buffer to keep the buffer strong for shocks, should I keep doing that too?

Also they have not eaten for 6 days, being pissed by water conditon I guess. whats the longest "fasting" period should i tolerate before thinking somethings seriously wrong?

IMHO just stick with Amquel don't use the other chemicals. There not eating cause there probably stressed. By those water changes done and nice fresh water in there.

IMHO just stick with Amquel don't use the other chemicals. There not eating cause there probably stressed. By those water changes done and nice fresh water in there.

I didn't notice the buffer if using any don't use it there should be no need and just complicates things. Just use a water conditioner that's it. I hope it all gets better

Back
Top Bottom