help new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightswake

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i just got a 35 gal aquarium and stocked it with 5 cichlids from petsmart assorted cichlid aquarium i got a aqua clear hob 50 filter... put fish in last night this morning they r not doing well so i tested the water good ph very little ammonia no nitrites or nitrates..

So i took the air pump from my ten gal and put it In the cichlids tank could not enough oxygen have been the problem? They r all just sitting on the bottom of the tank not swimmin around

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hi.

You need to cycle the tank.

Freshwater -> Getting Started section should help you out with that.

I would take back the cichlids till you can properly cycle the tank plus that's a bit small for all those especially since you haven't listed their species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No offence caleb but i have fish in cycled 3 tanks i took a reading this morning of less than .25 ammonia

No offence caleb but i have fish in cycled 3 tanks i took a reading this morning of less than .25 ammonia

No offense but I have 3 fully functional happy tanks as well.(10,45,75)

The signs of ammonia and no nitrate indicate the tank is likely not cycled. And depending on the species, 35 gallons is too small for that many cichlids.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The ammonia reading and lack of stability in the tank explains itself for their lack of activity, they are stressed.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Caleb's right. The tank isn't cycled and 5 cichlids is way too many to fish in cycle. But let's take it a step a time. What exactly are the cichlids along with their size? Also are you aware the tank is too small for them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 of them are 2 inches and 3 of them are less than a inch...idk what type they are they were in a tank labelled assorted african cichlids if i put them in my cycled ten gallon would that help? And my wifes had cichlids before so we can get a bigger tank once they grow...
And im srry caleb not trying to offend but theyres even a article on this site about fish in cycling... i obviously misread it from the responses im getting so srry man

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 of them are 2 inches and 3 of them are less than a inch...idk what type they are they were in a tank labelled assorted african cichlids if i put them in my cycled ten gallon would that help? And my wifes had cichlids before so we can get a bigger tank once they grow...
And im srry caleb not trying to offend but theyres even a article on this site about fish in cycling... i obviously misread it from the responses im getting so srry man

That many in a 10g would be a disaster imo, too little space and too much bioload. Take them back and sort out what species you want before you buy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I cant take em back store is closed today i live out of town and the petsmart near me is closed for cleaning today and they are not full big yet im trying to post pics idk how on the app

Just watch ammonia and nitrite daily. Any time its either is at or above .5 do a 50% water change with prime. You will be fine how ever not knowing what you have is a problem as far as knowing if they are compatible. What is the foot print of the tank?

I cant take em back store is closed today i live out of town and the petsmart near me is closed for cleaning today and they are not full big yet im trying to post pics idk how on the app

My advice. Take some media from the cycled tanks and put it in the unchecked tank. Eventually A 40 breeder. Or a 55 gallon will be necessary maybe even bigger depending upon species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the photo in the middle right beside the Twitter bird to upload them.

You can try half and half. Use a few to fish in cycle the new tank and the rest in the other tank since that's really your only option.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just watch ammonia and nitrite daily. Any time its either is at or above .5 do a 50% water change with prime. You will be fine how ever not knowing what you have is a problem as far as knowing if they are compatible. What is the foot print of the tank?

Nice 3 posts at the same time

Ok thanks i will check water religiously put in some media from cycled tank

I dont see a twitter bird on the app all i see is the post quick reply so yea ill try n figure that out

Its different on different phones
On mine you have to hit the + sign then the 3 dots in the upper right and the dropdown menu has attach picture.

Ohhh figured app stayed close to the same on things like this.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Theres some pics

Attachments

• 1427052373637.jpg
    1427052373637.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1427052393639.jpg
    1427052393639.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 1427052416845.jpg
    1427052416845.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 96
Can u get a few more shots of the fish?
The blue could be a kenyi. You may want to add a little more decor to allow for some hiding spots. This tank will work for a few months, maybe as long as 6 months but cichlids grow pretty fast. As was said 40 breeder or a 55 will probably be your next bet. Definitely read that article mike linked as that's your situation. The seeded filter media will help a lot. Good luck and welcome to the cichlid side. Its hard to go back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom