Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

help on stockin cichlid tank

Ok so after sayin i most definately didnt want a species only tank hete i am wantin cichlids... even after readin multiple threads n websites even grabbed aquariums usa magazine n a few care guides from petsmart..im still alil confused as to what should go with what..i know better then to mix the different lakes and all that ..anyway im gonna list the fish i like n no particular order i know they arent all compatible ..so keep n mind just givin a reference to the ones i like .buyin a 55g r mayb a 75g both would b glass.
Ok so heres what i like....
Black convict (luv)
Pink convict (its a mayb)
Keyhole
Blue peacock
Acei
Green terror
German blue r gold rams r the angel ones
Port acara
Texas
Apisto
Rainbow
Fairy
Lemon
Marliers julie
Yellow labs

Honestly i fell n luv with a jd, gbr, n a blk convict today just watchin n tryin to decide which rte to go.. i have no clue where to begin on stockin just know most of wht i like cant b together...HELP..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks
Ok so after sayin i most definately didnt want a species only tank hete i am wantin cichlids... even after readin multiple threads n websites even grabbed aquariums usa magazine n a few care guides from petsmart..im still alil confused as to what should go with what..i know better then to mix the different lakes and all that ..anyway im gonna list the fish i like n no particular order i know they arent all compatible ..so keep n mind just givin a reference to the ones i like .buyin a 55g r mayb a 75g both would b glass.
Ok so heres what i like....
Black convict (luv)
Keyhole
Blue peacock
Acei
Green terror
German blue r gold rams r the angel ones
Port acara
Texas
Apisto
Rainbow
Fairy
Lemon
Marliers julie
Yellow labs

Honestly i fell n luv with a jd, gbr, n a blk convict today just watchin n tryin to decide which rte to go.. i have no clue where to begin on stockin just know most of wht i like cant b together...HELP..
The
Yellow labs
Acei
Blue peacock
Are all african Cichlids from lake Malawi

The
Marliers julie
Fairy
Are african cichlids from lake tanganyika

The
Black convict (luv)
Texas
Green terror
Port acara
Rainbow
Keyhole
Apisto
believe are all new world cichlids/ south American
I don't know much about them so not sure

Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't want a species only tank, the rams, keyholes, and Apistos are all community fish, especially the keyholes, which are said to be one of the most peaceful cichlids on earth
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Ill b ok with a species only tank.. i just already have a tank with my betta n 3 otos ..Neo (betta) is super aggressive i so i wont even try to add anything with him..my hubby cant even really go near the tank r Neo flares at him..which i think is wierd.. i really am partial to the rams...but i luv the convicts 2... i guess i should pick a main fish n build around it im just unsure which to get ...i guess i need a stockin list for both n figure out that way..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If your interested in the cons then I would steer you towards the cryptoheros genus, you'll get drastically better coloration and less aggression. Below are my top five favorites in the genus, I admit I keep all of these so I'm a little biased.

Nanoletus
Sajica
Cutteri
Honduran red point
Panamensis.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #6

The only one i remember researchin is the sajica...so i guess ill have to look into them...thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #7

I decided to stick with the ram...i dont want a pair though bc i dont want babies r the aggression that comes with mating pairs..what tank mates should i put with the ram...i orginally was gonna add corydoras and some type of barb before i wanted the ram.. should i just add the apisto n keyholes ? I want to have as peaceful of a setup as possible..oh n what substrate do u think is best ..i wws gonna add eco complete for plants then mayb top it with a small amount of black gravel..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say add some keyholes (if you're able to find them), as well as a couple schools of tetras. I have bleeding heart and Serpae in with my dwarves. Corys will work great for the bottom, I'd say do a school of 8-10 of ONE species. Rams are very peaceful, so just treat them as a community fish
Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Good...i want to add prolly 8 mayb more pepper cories r albino cories..then i want some von rio tetras..i really would prefer bumble bee gobies over cories if i can find them..
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wouldn't have to worry about your betta being aggressive. Cichlids would make a nice snack of those long flowing fins and leave him defenseless

Tags
cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com