Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

loosing my fish

hey guys and gals i am at the end of my rope. at this point i have lost most of my fish. i am unsure what has happened the tank has been set up for over a year no problem. now all the sudden my fish are dying off one at a time. i have tested the water and most thing are where they are supposed to be. ph is good ammonia is low and the nitrates and nitrites are with in range according to my test strips. using the api brand. the only thing that is off is the kh ( carbonate hardness) is very high and the gh ( general hardness is very high). in the past the water out of the tap always tested very good in our area. now it is way off on these two areas. now my fish are not eating and i have lost most of my stock. some of the fish are turning kind of pale colors and when the die there have some bloody spots on them. i have been watching them and they have not been fighting each other. i have been treating the water with a conditioner and its not helping. what should i do next??

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
Weird..when you say treating with water conditioner do you mean doing a pwc then treating? If not make sure you are not simply dosing the tank with water conditioner as this may deplete the oxygen in you tank which will not help your fish make it through whatever it is that is wrong with them.. Have you added any new decorations or using anything new?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

as thing had progressed i decided to quarenteen the fish that were left into another tank and used the water out of the original tank. i took out all decorations and media in my 55 gallon tank then did a huge water change. using the old filter media. i treated the water i put into the tank and let it sit for a few days. then i returned the fish into the tank. they seemed to do better then the next morning three were dead. then as today went buy i have lost two more. like stated above the water is testing ok for everything but hardness, and i am changing water about 50% a day and treating it before its put into the tank. i am at a loss here. i have never had a single problem in alost 3 years and now its goin horrible.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you say ammonia is low, what is it reading? You should have no traces of ammonia in a year old tank - any recent changes to the set up, new additions? The test strips are also inaccurate but I would post your actual parameter readings so we can work out why your fish are dying
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder if your water company added something or something is in your pipes ?

You might try adding part tap/part Distilled water to bring down hardness.

I use Prime and you can add up to 5x normal dosage if needed.

Your Ammonia should be at zero.

Pull some tap water. Let it sit overnight then test it and also water straight out of tap.

I'm sorry for your losses.

What substrate ?
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cichlid sand and pool filter sand mix
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Malawi Bloat

Sound like Bloat to me, What are you feeding and what's you stock list?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please give more info. What size tank, what kinds of fish, how long have you had them, filtration setup, how often are you doing water changes, anything different that you've done recently?

Agreed that in an established tank, ammonia and nitrites should be zero. Nitrates should be close to zero. If you are using strips, those are not always accurate. It would be a good investment to get a kit with test tubes.

Also...tap water can cause problems. It often has nasty stuff in it that is harmless to humans, but that can build up over time. It's not stuff you could test for, so you can't know. You mentioned your tap water is good in your area? What are you basing that assumption on? "Human good" and "fish good" can be very different.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look up Marine Velvet and check symptoms. It's a killer. Just lost almost all my fish.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's is what it looks like. The red on its belly was not there before although i did notice this on my other fish as well that died.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3774721657.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	169259   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3204199810.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	169260  

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com