Help please oscars sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Nick_

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello to anybody who can help me i finally upgraded my tank for my two oscars to a way bigger tank I've had my oscars in a 36 gallon for a year in a half since they were babies they were happy until i put them in a bigger tank today i think they fit to die they lay on the bottom of the aquarium not moving as if they were dead but when i try to take them out they fight not to get caught whats going on but after i stop trying to get them they lay back at the bottom on there sides somebody help me

Attachments

• image-630650554.jpg
    image-630650554.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 75
My brothers Oscar was doing that after he took out some decorations to put in rocks. They are just reacting to changes in their environment. After making some more changes to it he stopped doing it and is perfectly healthy and acting normally. My brother read up on it and was saying it's fairly normal behavior in oscars.

Thanks they are still alive they swim around ever now & then but they still at the bottom on there side

I believe it was a couple weeks that his Oscar was acting like that. He would still feed like a complete pig when food was put in but other than that he was laying on the bottom or floating around sideways. Oscars are funny fish.

Oscars are drama queens and will sulk for up to a week or 2 when placed in a new environment sometimes ( that is if your water parameters are correct in the new tank and it is cycled properly). I would be more concerned about the long term health effects of keeping 2 oscars in a 36 gallon tank for a year and half. I'm surprised they survived. Did you do 75% water changes daily? How big are they? If they are not 12" or bigger at that age they may be stunted.

I would give them a few days to get used to their new surroundings, maybe give them something from their old set up. Oscars are definitely a "smart fish". My puffer does the same thing when I rearrange the live rock in his tank- he hides in the rocks and sulks at the bottom of the tank. They just don't like change.

Back
Top Bottom